PDA

View Full Version : If you were a LPS Fish Room Manager...

God.
11/26/2012, 05:09 PM
What would you do if you could make any style tank and have 60 tanks to aquascape. I am a manager at a lps and im looking for new display ideas. Anything at all! Ill post a pic of what I call "my other tank". All I have at home is a 20long reef. its our stores 240 mixed reef display.

Anyways.. what would you do? I have about 60 tanks for inverts and reef safe fish. And about 50 fowlr tanks with a 300 tall display. Some space opened up so I need some ideas

Ive got a little tank for harlequin shrimp. A peacock mantis tank, sea horse/pipefish. Shrimp/Goby pairs for days.

You guys should see what wholesale has to offer..you would be amazed whats out there.

lmsmith
11/26/2012, 05:12 PM
First - are we considering ease of catching stock, or is this just our dream creation?

Or what we as consumers would love to see in our LFS?

Driver13
11/26/2012, 05:20 PM
Keep it simple if you'll be pulling livestock out of it all day, simple and efficient is the name of the selling game.

Tuton
11/26/2012, 05:22 PM
A good section would be "Alternative fish" for 55 gallon tanks
so if someone has their heart set on a yellow tang you could take them to this section and show them a good alternative

God.
11/26/2012, 05:28 PM
This will be mainly display and I will order in upon request unless they absolutely have to have "that one"

I do like the idea of alternative 55 gallon fish...

Lmsmith .... both lol

lmsmith
11/26/2012, 08:12 PM
I love the idea of alternative fish tanks!

I think it would also be awesome to have a few tanks which show different aquascaping, lighting and sand types.

I also think a cool tank would be one with non-reef safe fish, but with different algaes and some corals that are generally more safe to keep with puffers or angels and other similar nippy fish.

I'd also love to see a nem tank with lots of nems and heaps of clowns (I guess you'd have to raise them together and keep them together like the guy in the clown breeding thread did).

Oh! And how cool would it be to have a 'easy, medium and hard' section? Where you can put beginner, low light corals or corals that aren't very demanding, with less picky fish, then a 'hard' tank with more demanding livestock?

Arkayology
11/27/2012, 12:12 AM
Non-photosynthetic predator tank

ReefTECK
11/27/2012, 12:21 AM
There are many of us that won't be surprised at what's on your wholesaler lists......been there done that. Done transshipping. lol

I used to keep a central pile around 3" pvc pipes and usually bare bottom except where required. I like to see tanks that are accessible and serviceable. That way I know they're taken care of and allowed to fallow if contamination occurs.

gbru316
11/27/2012, 04:46 AM
For most: don't aquascape. It'll get trashed and ripped apart anyway.

Set up 1 or 2 "showcase" tanks and leave the rest in a minimal state.

Ms Tanky Panky
11/27/2012, 07:02 AM
I would love to see a set up where there is a small space reserved for each group detailing their needs and care. You could walk up to each tank and not only be able to read a short description of what that particular fish or coral needs to prosper but also even what it is and it's common name. You would be able to see if this one would be alright with that one. Once you had the basics you could then talk it over with the manager if you want further info. Just something that I myself would appreciate and think others would too.

gbru316
11/27/2012, 07:12 AM
to expand my first post: having worked in a fish store in my youth, I cannot imagine trying to remove fish from aquascaped tanks to sell to customers on a daily basis.

Not to mention the maintenance needed for a tank that contains more than a bare bottom and PVC tube, multiplied by 60.

Do you have the staff to maintain all these tanks (they all must be pretty much spotless, otherwise you'll turn away customers) while simultaneously performing customer service?

Do you have the capital to invest in pulling stock from inventory to use in displays?

Do your employees/customers have the patience to wait around while your employees chase fish around aquascaping in an effort to remove them for the customer?

I judge retailers by their appearance and service, in that order. If a retailer doesn't have a spotless appearance, it's a turn-off. If I have to wait around for service, whether it's because all employee's are busy or because it's taking them an extreme amount of time to do something, it's a turn-off.

I enjoy looking at display tanks as long as they are well maintained. However, I don't think keeping most, or all of your stock in "display tanks" is the most customer/employee-friendly idea. You're a LFS, not a public aquarium.

SaltwaterSensei
11/27/2012, 11:10 AM
No silly buzz word named fish/invert/corals....just stick to what their real names, common names have always confused and frustrated me.

God.
01/12/2013, 08:05 PM
Diggin this guy back up.

Gbru: I like your style.
Staff. Check
Capitol. Check - wont be selling much out. I want it to be inspiring.
Patient customers. Random and I have limited control. - leading back to this being display only.

We are working on a tag system with care level, max size, temperament, reef compatibility, common and latin names and picture.

Still have thought of a great display. I do really like the idea of the macro algaes and safer corals hardy corals to keep with nippy fish.

Anymore ideas? I want to try some5hing in a 75 or smaller because those are our best sellers.

Think inspiration.

God.
01/12/2013, 08:06 PM
Double post.