PDA

View Full Version : dry Fiji rock from BRS...

greg1786
11/26/2012, 08:46 PM
I want to buy 25# of dry Fiji rock from brs to add to my existing 55gal reef tank. The tank is a year and half old and pretty moderately stocked with corals and very lightly stocked with fish. i already have about 45# of lr in the tank. my question is can I add this rock directly to the aquarium or must I cure the rock first

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Fish Bowl
11/26/2012, 09:18 PM
Most definitely cure first. It's basically Fiji Live Rock that is left out to dry and then is sold.
If your in a rush, then an Acid Bath will make things go quite quickly and also may make the rock look better.

joeogio
11/27/2012, 11:43 AM
cure it! there are organic compounds stored up inside it and you don't want to just introduce it to your healthy reef tank. buy a plastic storage tub and fill it with water from a water change and let it sit a few weeks, you will want to throw a heater in there and some sort of pump for circulation. test the water and watch for a cycle just like setting up a new tank

greg1786
11/27/2012, 11:59 AM
ok thanks guys. I thought it needed to be cured I just wasn't sure and knew someone here would kno for sure

Sugar Magnolia
11/27/2012, 01:22 PM
cure it! there are organic compounds stored up inside it and you don't want to just introduce it to your healthy reef tank. buy a plastic storage tub and fill it with water from a water change and let it sit a few weeks, you will want to throw a heater in there and some sort of pump for circulation. test the water and watch for a cycle just like setting up a new tank

That's what I did for about 2 months before tossing it in the tank. Be sure to keep the tub topped off with fresh RODI, and do a water change with your water from the tank's water change.