PDA

View Full Version : Question

NH Fish
11/28/2012, 10:36 AM
If I want to do a 20 gal water change, will the renew empty out 20 gal then fill 20 gal or does it do 1 gal out, and 1 gal in?
Thanks
Dave

quan325i
11/28/2012, 11:33 AM
It will do 1 gal out/in for 20 times continuously.

NH Fish
11/28/2012, 02:34 PM
seems like a waste of good water. wonder if there are any changes insight to be able to drain the entire amount first.

GenesisReefSys
11/28/2012, 03:10 PM
Hi Dave,

The "good water" and existing water will mix between one gallon exchanges, so it isn't as though "good water" will be introduced to your system and then immediately removed. While in theory a fraction of the water on subsequent water exchanges will be "good water," keep in mind that small frequent water changes (like 5 gallons per day, every day) will translate to more stable water parameters than infrequent large water changes. The small frequent water changes will not create large temperature, pH, or salinity swings, and nitrates and other compounds will be removed before they accumulate in large concentrations. Additionally, the frequent water changes will reintroduce trace elements as they are consumed.

With the RENEW™ there's also a component of convenience - since it's extremely easy to perform a water change it is more likely to be done!

We believe that small, frequent water changes offer many benefits, but we also appreciate that others may prefer larger, less frequent water changes. If you have any further questions about our systems please feel free to get in touch with us. We would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Have a great day,
Kevin

bnumair
11/30/2012, 02:03 AM
i agree, i have the same system on a 300 gal tank. i do 3gal per day auto water change. it keeps everything very very stable. Yes a very small amount of good water may be lost in water change but i think the way Genesis has it is more safer and fault free rather than dumping a huge amount of old water out and then replacing.
its impactful on chemistry and not just that in following situation Genesis method comes out on top.
imagine if it was programmed to dump 20gal out of ur sump first. in most sumps it will run the sump and pumps dry. even if does not then say 20gal is out and now Genesis starts to fill back new SW just to find that ur replacement bin only has 5gal. now with the safety built in Genesis it will goto do nothing mode till u come home and fix things before it continues. remember while its in do nothing either ur pumps are running dry or sump is extremely low on water creating a gazillion air bubbles in ur tank.

Adamc1303
12/01/2012, 07:29 PM
Bnumair I agree with your philosophy regarding regular scheduled water changes, but sometimes when things go wrong we need to really replace allot of water. I don't have the system yet but I am assuming if you can shut down the retrun pump on your tank and leave the lights and powerheads running. You can then suck 20 gallons out of the tank and dump 20into the sump and when you turn everything on they will mix.

NH Fish
12/02/2012, 07:01 AM
well I've done a little more research. Looks like the system is the way to go. Every one that has one loves it. Any Xmas deals coming up?

GenesisReefSys
12/02/2012, 10:46 AM
well I've done a little more research. Looks like the system is the way to go. Every one that has one loves it. Any Xmas deals coming up?

Hi Dave,

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your decision!

Unfortunately we don't have any Christmas sales planned. It never hurts to ask though!