PDA

View Full Version : Brass Fitting

Leafer
11/28/2012, 12:16 PM
To corrected a leak on the waste line leaving my RO unit, I used a brass compression nut with a brass insert for inside of the RO tubing. All other fittings are plastic. Could this lead to any possible issue or problem?

thegrun
11/28/2012, 12:55 PM
Most systems do not have a backflow preventer on the waste line so theoretically you could siphon copper back into the system although your DI cartridge would eliminate it if it actually did occur. I don't see it as a problem, but would probably correct it if for no other reason than piece of mind.

sleepydoc
11/28/2012, 01:25 PM
Is it just the 1/4" polyethylene tubing? If so, it should be pretty easy to get a plastic fitting. There shouldn't be much pressure on that line anyway.

Rottmn
11/28/2012, 01:40 PM
I just bought a fitting to go from canister to canister on my ro/di system for the same reason. I had the exact same question, but I never installed it for fear of some problem. The thing I keep thinking though is that many of the water pipes going TO my ro/di system are copper pipes. What is the difference?

AirportFF
11/28/2012, 04:04 PM
The Lowes near my house carries the plastic push/lock fittings that fit my rodi unit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

garydan
11/28/2012, 04:11 PM
On the input or waste line on the RO, you would be fine using brass. Think about this, the main water line coming into your house, and likely much of your house (depending on when it was built), is plumbed in copper. The entire pipe is copper, not just a tiny fitting. I have an early 90's house that's plumbed entirely in copper. One copper fitting on the input or waste line on the RO isn't going to make any difference.

I'd stick to plastic for the fittings for the clean water output on the RO and everything after it, just to minimize risk and keep the water quality as high as possible.

Leafer
11/29/2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. The brass fitting is working well so I am going to leave it for now on the waste line. I need a a 1/4 FPT push adapter not sold at my Lowes. BRS seems to have them and I will get a few with a future order. With the new preasure supplied by the added booster pump, I also found the membraine housing to be leaking. Tightning screws has be me dry now. :bounce1:

Carch melanopte
11/29/2012, 11:29 AM
Not if its on the waste line. This is discard water and will not effect the product water.

disc1
11/29/2012, 02:56 PM
The thing I keep thinking though is that many of the water pipes going TO my ro/di system are copper pipes. What is the difference?

Um... because they are BEFORE the filter so anything that leaches from them gets filtered out when it goes through the filter. That's the whole reason you need the filter. Am I missing something here?