PDA

View Full Version : The one down side of LEDs

xxxduke62xxx
11/28/2012, 07:04 PM
So i am getting great growth and great color with all colors under the LED lights i have. The only problem i see is if the coral is not directly under the LEDs the growth is extremely slow. I have SPS higher and mid level but to the left and right of the units the growth is a slow. It gets good color over there but no growth. Anyone else have the same kind of problem? It may be my tank because its a 92 corner but i have 3 units. 2 in the front and one in the back. Maybe i should hang them higher for more spread? Whats the limit on how high AI can go. I have SPS at the bottom so i dont want to go to high. Right now my 2 front AI are around 8in off the water and the back is at 11 because the rocks are high in the back

HollyG
11/29/2012, 10:39 AM
hhmmm.... I don't have that issue with my LED fixture at all! But I also went big time overkill with my 33gal! lol 288watts Chinese Apollo 8 LEd fixture :P So, it's hung quite high and it spreads into the room even hahaha... I will be upgrading eventually so I figured I'd go overkill now because I got it for a super deal from a buddy brand new never used. :P I love my LEDs!

Allmost
11/29/2012, 10:50 AM
coverage is the main reason for holding back changing commercial lightings to LED !

BigAl2007
11/29/2012, 11:01 AM
You could add wider optics to get more "spread" but then at the expense of penetration into your tank. You have 4 choices really...

A) Add different optics to get more spread sacrificing depth
B) Keep what you've got and raise them up also sacrificing depth
C) Add more LED units to compensate for shortage
D) Keep what you've got and let growth take a back-seat to a great looking tank :)