PDA

View Full Version : Frag Tank lighting and filtration

Midwestmade
11/29/2012, 11:58 AM
I am new to growing corals but have had a FOWLER for a couple years.
I have had a 75 gallon set up and just got a 225 gallon tank up and running.
So now I have some left over equipment from the tore down 75 and wondering if i use it on the frag tank or start to get rid of some it.

I have a 20 gallon long tank I am going to set up for a frag only tank.
I have a 250W MH I am not using and was thinking of using it on the frag tank. My question is....is that to much light for a tank that small? I want to accelerate the growth but I don't want to fry my frags.
I also have two no name 24" strip light LED fixtures. One is blue and one is white, I have no idea what the watt ratings are on these two fixtures as they are not marked anywhere.

Which lighting setup should I use?

Second question....Is there a reason to get nuts with filtration in a frag tank?
I have a HOB skimmer left over from taking down my 75 gallon tank which is rated for a 125 gallon tank. With having frags only on the tank, do I really need to skim the water? or would a little bio wheel filter be fine?

I am open to idea's as far as feeding the frag tank. Thinking about BRS REEF Chilli, has anyone got any suggestions for me?

nanoreefer1000
11/29/2012, 06:05 PM
IMO you should make a FW tank, or a frag tank. Whichever.

allsps40
11/29/2012, 06:22 PM
The 250W light will be good for a frag tank and yes you should run a skimmer on the frag tank.

Michigan Mike
11/29/2012, 07:37 PM
If your SPS then the 250w but there are a lot of stuff that would not like having that much light. You can raise the light so its not as harsh on certain corals.

Midwestmade
11/30/2012, 09:43 AM
Got some info on the LED Fixtures, they each have 15 led's 1,800 lumens total per fixture
one is a 10,000K the other is a 456nm actinic color spectrum. These should work pretty good for a Frag tank I would think. Comments?

Midwestmade
11/30/2012, 09:46 AM
Also if I use the glass top on the aquarium how much light would get filtered out by the glass top? Is this something to be concerned about? Can I use the glass top or just leave it open and suspend the lights above the tank?

nanoreefer1000
11/30/2012, 05:49 PM
10K whites = POS