PDA

View Full Version : ID mushroom?

chrisdawnwatts
11/29/2012, 05:32 PM
Not the most experienced saltwater tank person. Very new to corals/reefs.

Can someone possibly tell me what this is? As far as texture goes, it isn't soft, but its not hard either, with strength it is possible to mush it.

This is the best pic I have for it:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ja2q5xzk8mohdwq/Gzzgn0dCpd#f:112_0013.JPG

Thanks!
Watts

Veganbrian
11/29/2012, 06:26 PM
Looks like a HH sponge or some kind, You also have Green Hair Algae. Gotta get your phosphates down.

chrisdawnwatts
11/29/2012, 06:35 PM
Looks like a HH sponge or some kind, You also have Green Hair Algae. Gotta get your phosphates down.

My phosphates are good. The live rock already had the green hair algae on it at purchase. It has not spread or grown since it has been in my tank for a couple months. There is also the purple coralline algae which also came with the rock at a couple spots.

Also, there are two of the sponge things on that rock, not one.

Watts

Veganbrian
11/29/2012, 07:00 PM
Sponges are fine. Good filter feeders. You have to have phosphates in order for the algae to be alive. Algae take in the nutrients and light to live and grow. So just because you're showing 0 in a test it just means the algae is eating the amount that is being produced from something.

chrisdawnwatts
11/29/2012, 07:05 PM
Sponges are fine. Good filter feeders. You have to have phosphates in order for the algae to be alive. Algae take in the nutrients and light to live and grow. So just because you're showing 0 in a test it just means the algae is eating the amount that is being produced from something.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. I will definitely make sure to work on my phosphate issues then.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
Watts