PDA

View Full Version : Brand new "empty" tank questions

DMBFan
11/29/2012, 06:54 PM
Lets say I buy the 120 gallon tank I have my eye on, with a 40g sump. I plumb it, and fill it. Then I put in the following equipment:
2 HOB filters rated for 100 gallons each (No carbon, just filter floss)
heater
Air stone on a nice sized air pump
RODI water + salt (to 1.024 salinity)
The lights that are coming with the tank (but I really won't run them unless I feel like watching the fish)
ATO to keep up with evaporation

I will cycle the tank (dead shrimp method) and get it stable, then proceed to ghost feed the tank a pinch of pellets every other day.

Assuming I do water changes on a regular basis, it should be fine to basically treat this tank as a QT tank until I pick up everything else I need to turn it into a reef tank? Can I house a fish or two in there? Is 10 gallons every 2 weeks enough while there's only a fish or 2 in there?

acabgd
11/29/2012, 07:02 PM
Why would you want to put an air stone and an air pump in a saltwater tank? And why would you want to have salinity at 1.024 when it should be at 1.026.

And what kind of "cycle" do you expect to have without any live rock?

MrClam
11/29/2012, 07:10 PM
Im relatively new to this so take what I say with caution, but from everything I understand using your DT as a QT essentially violates the purpose of a QT

If you had an infection on one of the fish you would have to completely tear down the tank and sump and get new filters in order to eliminate it

thegrun
11/29/2012, 07:51 PM
The danger of using the DT as a QT tank is that if you do need to treat the fish for disease, it is very difficult to catch them in a 120 gallon tank full of rock. You could end up needing to tear down the tank to catch the fish. I would lean towards 15 gallons every other week for water changes in a new tank.

kegogut
11/29/2012, 08:08 PM
You could essentially use it as a QT but that also means have to treat the 120 and the sump if theres a problem. That also means if you treat with copper all your pods and alot of the "live" part of your rock would be mostly killed off.

rworegon
11/30/2012, 08:33 AM
Lets say I buy the 120 gallon tank I have my eye on, with a 40g sump. I plumb it, and fill it. Then I put in the following equipment:
2 HOB filters rated for 100 gallons each (No carbon, just filter floss) skip this. put a skimmer and some live rock in the sump
heater Again, in the sump
Air stone on a nice sized air pump Dont need this.
RODI water + salt (to 1.024 salinity) Fine for fish. Bring it up to 1.026 slowly when its time for corals.
The lights that are coming with the tank (but I really won't run them unless I feel like watching the fish)
ATO to keep up with evaporation

I will cycle the tank (dead shrimp method) and get it stable, then proceed to ghost feed the tank a pinch of pellets every other day.

Assuming I do water changes on a regular basis, it should be fine to basically treat this tank as a QT tank until I pick up everything else I need to turn it into a reef tank? Can I house a fish or two in there? Is 10 gallons every 2 weeks enough while there's only a fish or 2 in there?

sponger0
11/30/2012, 08:38 AM
Why not just get a seperate tank for QT? Cause once you put rock and other stuff in it, youll still need a QT.

HOB filters are unnecessary if you have a sump.