PDA

View Full Version : sick clown with very long white stringy feces

sarasotanewbie
11/30/2012, 10:58 AM
Hi all,
Just joined today. I have a 20 gallon setup that finished cycling about 2 months ago (over 3 months since set up). Over the last 2 months, i have only added a yellow tail damsel, scooter blenny, 2 tiny green star polyp frags, a cleanup crew of snails and blue leg hermits and a pair of ocellaris clowns. Everything is going great except for my larger cloen. She (?) Was eating fine for 2 weeks then suddenly stopped eating altogether. Was lazy and breathing heavily. Talked to the owner of local LFS and was told to start a QT with furan 2 treatment. She had a short white string coming from her anal vent when I moved her to the medicated tank, but has grown to about 2.5 inches. Still breathing heavily after 3 days in QT. Water parameters in DT were religiously kept ideal by OCD me after the cycle. Water changes of 20% weekly with RO and Red sea reef salt. 15lbs. Live rock, uv sterilizer and protein skimmer. 20 lbs. Live sand. Filtration is AQ110 set to low flow. I am worried that this may be internal parasites and furan is not working. It has been 7 days since she's eaten and I am concerned. I have brine shrimp in the QT but she is getting very thin in the belly. Any thoughts on a plan of action? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

b0bab0ey
11/30/2012, 11:22 AM
What you are describing is likely Flukes and can be treated using PraziPro. One dose kills the worms; a second dose 5-6 days later kills any offspring from the eggs left behind. Do a 20-25% WC before administering the second dose.

gweston
11/30/2012, 12:06 PM
+1 Prazipro should help clear that up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

downbeach
11/30/2012, 12:43 PM
Scroll down to Internal Roundworms - "Nematodes" in this article:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

As mentioned PraziPro is your best bet.

sarasotanewbie
11/30/2012, 01:18 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I didn't feel right about the furan from the beginning. Will buy prazipro today and follow label. Should i try to remove most of my furan-medicated water from the QT before treatment or are they ok mixing together? Thanks again for all the quick replies!

sarasotanewbie
11/30/2012, 01:21 PM
PS, downbeach, thanks for that link. Lots of good things to know when all is not perfect with the tank life!

MrTuskfish
11/30/2012, 02:04 PM
I'd just return the clown to the DT; unless he's been getting picked on by another fish. PPis the only med I'd ever use in a reef tank and the other fish will probably benefit from the worming too. I have used PP for years when fish are still in quarentine; I think it can prevent a lot of problems.

sarasotanewbie
11/30/2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks, MrTuskfish. So I will finish the last dose of furan 2 tonight just to complete the course and then acclimate my clown back into the PP treated tank. I really hope it gets her well. I feel like I might let out a rather embarrassing squeal if I finally see her eat again, haha!

MrTuskfish
11/30/2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, MrTuskfish. So I will finish the last dose of furan 2 tonight just to complete the course and then acclimate my clown back into the PP treated tank. I really hope it gets her well. I feel like I might let out a rather embarrassing squeal if I finally see her eat again, haha!

Sounds like a plan. Just for future reference: using DT water in your QT/HT makes acclimation easy. If temp is nearly the same, just toss the fish from the QT to the DT. The DT gets an extra WC too.

sarasotanewbie
11/30/2012, 04:21 PM
Definitely good advice all around :-)