PDA

View Full Version : No Clue how to do this..

Yellowworld
12/01/2012, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, so im usually pretty hand when it comes to searching for stuff but this time im getting no where, and im getting there really fast!

So here is my question/issue, I need to wire 2 fans to my apex that can be controlled by either and or both an air temperature sensor and a humidity sensor. Im not sure if i should be using a break out box or a different means.

Background info!
I have 2 Zalman 120mm Fans (http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=406)

I dont have any of the sensors for air temp inside the cabinet or for the humidity.

I have a full apex controller but have no open power outlets

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

aquamanic
12/01/2012, 03:07 PM
You can use a regular Neptune temp probe to measure air temp or water temp.

Here's a link to a humidistat that drives a dry contact switch. You'd need a breakout box to get that signal into the Apex - you can buy one or DIY.

http://www.smarthome.com/7156/Winland-Electronics-HA-1-Humidity-Sensor/p.aspx

The code is simple. For your fan outlet, just do this:

Fallback ON
Set OFF
If Temp > 80 Then ON
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON

Switch1 would be your humidistat but you're going to need an outlet to control these fans. See if you can double up on any existing devices into a single outlet - use a power strip if you need to. If you don't have an outlet, you can't control the fans, it's that simple.

RussM
12/01/2012, 08:31 PM
The fans you linked to are 12VDC fans, so you will need to provide use a suitable AC adapter.

HeneryH
12/02/2012, 10:15 AM
The fans you linked to are 12VDC fans, so you will need to provide use a suitable AC adapter.and an open outlet on an EB8. No way around this. Maybe you can free up an outlet by combining two currently in use outlets into one. Maybe you have two lights in two outlets and they can share.

Maybe you have a static device like the main pump that is always on that you can move off the Apex.

Of course, you could also buy another EB8 too.