PDA

View Full Version : Help my tank is leaking!.......kinda?

Red254
12/02/2012, 11:59 AM
So my FW tank has sprung a small leak or at least I think it has...... It only leaks when I do a water change or add water to it. Which made me think that it was leaking somewhere from the top of the tank but after a close inspection there are no cracks in the glass or silicone and the glass is never wet on the outside and the water is always seeping from underneath the tank. So I have a feeling it is a seam on the bottom panel, which isn't much of a mystery but the odd thing is that it only leaks for about a 24 hours then doesn't leak until the next time I do a water change or add water. And it seems like it would leak continuously if it was the bottom pane of glass.

This has been goin on for about a month and I know I should break down the tank or the problem is only going to get worse but has anyone ever encountered this before? It makes no sense to me

Jeff000
12/02/2012, 12:11 PM
It's only leaking when you disturb it, because while leaking something blocks the hole. Or its leaking slow enough that you don't really notice.

Don't worry though, I'm sure it'll be kinda fine, I mean till the point of critical failure when the entire tank will empty to the floor.

It's a fresh water tank, so easy to tear down.

Kellyrt
12/02/2012, 12:11 PM
Sounds like you are spilling water when adding it to me.

Red254
12/02/2012, 12:16 PM
Sounds like you are spilling water when adding it to me.

That's what I thought the first time it happened but I did everything in my power to not spill any on my next water change to make sure it wasn't human error and it still happened

And I'm not worried about breaking it down I know it will be relatively easy but it's just odd to me

spieszak
12/02/2012, 12:24 PM
Could be when the tank is full, surface agitation is splashing water up on to the lights/canopy or whatever. I'd take a look a equipment that "lives" right above filter returns or the spots where powerheads push towards the surface.