PDA

View Full Version : All but one fish died

nychuk
12/02/2012, 02:36 PM
Tank background and description:
I have a 92 gallon corner tank with a 20 gal refugium, a phosban reactor and a Octopus 150 Recirculating Skimmer. I have the 160W Maxspect Razor LED lights.

My parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and I have high nitrates. PH 8.2. Cant seem to lower nitrates. I just added the skimmer a week ago. I had an aqua c remora HOB skimmer before which didnt do much. Skimmer is already pulling gunky waste out.

1.024 salinity and temp 78 degrees.

I have been doing about 15% water changes every 7-10 days or so.

I have some LPS SPS Mushrooms and zoanthids in the tank.

All my coral is doing great. Looks awesome and is growing.

The only fish left is a 5 inch Blue hippo tang. The hippo has been in there the longest out of everyone.

Every fish I added or had in the tank died except the hippo tang. They all would hide all day then i would notice their skin turn white then peel off then they die. I had a puffer, harlequin tusk, powder blue and a niger trigger all die.

I thought it was because the water in the tank got to 68 degrees for a couple days when i wasnt home. I stupidly didnt have a heater cause my apartment is always hot. Im on the top floor. But I have added one since so that doesnt happen again. I added a small powder blue tang and a niger 2 days ago..Both dead by this morning.

I am wondering how the hippo tang is surviving if i have some type of parasite? They are like the first to show symptoms. Then i noticed this mornign that the hippo tang was picking on the powder blue before it died.

Could these fish just be getting bullied by the hippo? I have no idea what is going on. I am not buying another fish till i get my nitrates to 0. I may even give the hippo tang back to the LFS and leave just coral for a few weeks to get parameters in check and if there are any parasites they should die if no fish are there to host right?

Sorry so long but i have tried my best to do my tank right this time. I spent a ton of time and money on this tank and still cant seem to get it right.

Any help would be great. Thanks

alprazo
12/02/2012, 02:47 PM
Your hippo is likely resistant to velvet. I had a clown like this before.

nychuk
12/02/2012, 04:34 PM
I was thinking velvet initially too. Will velvet die off if there are no fish in the tank? Just corals.

alprazo
12/02/2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, but you must treat the tang.

nychuk
12/02/2012, 09:40 PM
Im thinking just giving the tang back to my LFS and telling them to quaranteen it and treat it. I use the same store and they are awesome. I will give it to them to treat and later on when im ready for fish they will give me a new fish.

How long do u think i should go fishless in order for the velvet to die off?

MrTuskfish
12/03/2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, your tank should be fishless for 10+ weeks.
This could be Brooklynella too. Your "awesome" LFS is very unlikely to adequately treat your fish; they don't have the room or the time. Returned fish are often flushed, the LFS won't take a chance on spreading a parasite throughout their system. Quarantine and treating sick is your job. If you don't start using a QT with all new fish and learn to treat the ones you have; you'll never hare a healthy tank.

This doesn't have anything to do with your fish's parasites; but your LFS is selling you a lot of fish that are WAY too big for your tank. All of the fish in your initial post (assuming the puffer is a larger species) need a lot more room than you're giving them. You said you spent a lot a lot of time and money; now, while your tank is empty, is the time to do a lot of reading and research. I'd also get a QT set up. I don't want to sound nasty, but we loose a great number of hobbyists because they haven't done proper research on fish and the hobby in general. A good LFS used to be a great source on our hobby. Sadly, this is rarely the case. If your store is selling you these fish, knowing that you have a 92 gal tank and are constantly losing fish; I wouldn't believe much of what they say. Get a copy of Fenner's "The Conscience marine Aquarist" and read it cover to cover; you'll then have enough info to slowly start this great hobby/addiction.

nychuk
12/03/2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks alot for the response. All of the fish I had were small and I know they werent going to be able to stay in the tank forever. The LFS would give me store credit when returning the fish for smaller ones. But you are right I probably shouldnt be getting fish that cant be in the tank forever anyway.

I always like the bigger fish but since I dont have the space and I havent had luck with them I think im going to just keep inverts and coral for a couple of months and then just get clowns and other small reef safe fish for the tank.

Thanks for the input.

Mrscribbled
12/03/2012, 12:01 PM
I agree as for it being brook or velvet but it amazes me that a blue tang would be resistant which leads me to think it might be some other cause.

nychuk
12/03/2012, 03:08 PM
I know it amazes me out of all the fish my hippo tang is the lone survivor. He has some white marks on his side but nothing bad. I cant tell what it is cause he never stays still by the front of the tank. He eats anything i put in the tank and is active. So weird. But then my powder blue died within 2 days of putting it in the tank. Could it be my lights? I changed my lights to a maxspect 160watt LED Razor a few weeks ago. I never have them on 100% though. Im so confused...But like i said Im going with just coral and some inverts for a while till i get this figured out.

MrTuskfish
12/03/2012, 03:38 PM
I can't imagine any lighting killing any fish in two days.