PDA

View Full Version : Sweep elbow into return pump/sump plumbing?

adamwheel
12/02/2012, 04:51 PM
Can I use a sweep elbow out of the bulkhead in the sump before my return pump? I have the reeflo dart hybrid (2" inlet). Would a sweep elbow be better than a standard elbow anywhere I need a 90 in my plumbing?

Also, given that there's a 2" inlet on that pump, should I flood the inlet with plumbing larger than 2"?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

uncleof6
12/02/2012, 06:18 PM
Because of the turbulence created by the change in direction, you will still need 10x the pipe diameter, between the elbow and the pump inlet. A long sweep is another story, but still creates turbulence in the flow. Larger pipe can't hurt, but probably is not necessary, as the distance is not that far.

adamwheel
12/02/2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm still planning, so I can modify as needed.

Is there a minimum run I need after the bulkhead if I avoid the elbow altogether or can I just go straight into the pump? I read the rule of 10 diameters article and got the impression that the rule applies even without an elbow.

I've read several posts from you discussing going larger on the outlet of the pump. The outlet on the Dart is 1.5". Should I bump that up?

uncleof6
12/02/2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm still planning, so I can modify as needed.

Is there a minimum run I need after the bulkhead if I avoid the elbow altogether or can I just go straight into the pump? I read the rule of 10 diameters article and got the impression that the rule applies even without an elbow.

I've read several posts from you discussing going larger on the outlet of the pump. The outlet on the Dart is 1.5". Should I bump that up?

The "rule of 10D" applies to elbows or other direction changes. You can go straight into the pump without issues or concerns.

Increasing the pipe size on the outlet, decreases the friction loss by an order of magnitude (lol) it is always advantageous to bump it one size up.