PDA

View Full Version : anenome in nano?

gobywonkenobi
12/02/2012, 07:49 PM
My LFS has a gorgeous GBTA for 30 dollars. I told her to hold it for me. Is it a good or bad idea? I only have 3 corals in the tank right now and they are all on plugs so i can move them. Should i buy it or not? The tank is a standard 5.5gal

ggrillo
12/02/2012, 08:00 PM
Probably not.

ohclereef01
12/02/2012, 08:05 PM
My RBTAs never get bigger than a hardball or softball when they are really cozy.. Has split many times now in 3 years, 6 now in the tank. Carpets get huge but I thought bubble tips stayed small? Only worry is them releasing and getting caught in a pump etc..

My 2c

Sent from my Samsung - Note II

bigwavereef
12/02/2012, 09:09 PM
If you have the proper amount of lighting and a stable system &/or sump then sure why not. I've got a RBTA with a bunch of sps in a 30. :beer:

saf1
12/03/2012, 12:02 PM
My LFS has a gorgeous GBTA for 30 dollars. I told her to hold it for me. Is it a good or bad idea? I only have 3 corals in the tank right now and they are all on plugs so i can move them. Should i buy it or not? The tank is a standard 5.5gal

5.5 gallons? How much room is left after rock and any substrate you have? Bubble tips can grow or spread to a foot in size. Now, you put in the anemone and guess what happens? He moves about to find a spot he likes which may or may not be the location you want. Now you have to factor in power heads and returns or you have anemone soup for the soul :(

Your mileage may vary but since you asked the question I'd answer.

No. You don't have room for a anemone that can grow or spread close to 12" across when it is healthy.

saf1
12/03/2012, 12:03 PM
If you have the proper amount of lighting and a stable system &/or sump then sure why not. I've got a RBTA with a bunch of sps in a 30. :beer:

30 gallons vs. 5.5 :fun5:

gregrocks79
12/03/2012, 07:02 PM
I have one in my 12 gallon and it's been doing fantastic!! Eats silversides every day

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/e8y8abym.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/sasa7y6u.jpg

FishNutty
12/03/2012, 07:37 PM
I'd say go for it if-
You're willing to make it a dedicated tank(other corals will probably just get killed, and powerheads will need to be nem-proofed or removed)
You have enough lighting.
You realize you might have to rehome at some point.

So, that in mind, if you really want it, why not? But do yourself a favor growth-wise and don't feed a ton. There's a guy in my local reef club with a regular carpet in a ecoPico w/a clown, and it's doing fine.

gregrocks79
12/03/2012, 08:01 PM
Ya mine has moved a couple times. Doesn't stay long so hasn't affected any of the corals.

saf1
12/03/2012, 10:48 PM
Double post :(

saf1
12/03/2012, 10:49 PM
Just because you can probably doesn't mean you should all things considered. If you read the "non-forum" literature you will see most recommend much larger aquariums. Reason why again is because of total water volume after rock, substrate, and other creatures you may or may not keep and equipment.

To gregrocks - nice tank. Do you have a sump? Your sig says you do so I'm assuming it is set up within the 12 gallon. If so, you have more total water volume than the OP's 5 and you have more room for error.

Anyway - I'd vote no but you know how it goes. I probably shouldn't have replied because these typically turn into flame wars (this hasn't) like the "can I put a tang in a 20 gallon tank"... :(

gobywonkenobi
12/04/2012, 07:10 AM
Just because you can probably doesn't mean you should all things considered. If you read the "non-forum" literature you will see most recommend much larger aquariums. Reason why again is because of total water volume after rock, substrate, and other creatures you may or may not keep and equipment.

To gregrocks - nice tank. Do you have a sump? Your sig says you do so I'm assuming it is set up within the 12 gallon. If so, you have more total water volume than the OP's 5 and you have more room for error.

Anyway - I'd vote no but you know how it goes. I probably shouldn't have replied because these typically turn into flame wars (this hasn't) like the "can I put a tang in a 20 gallon tank"... :(

I dont flame. I just asked for opinions. I think im going to pass on it in the 5.5. Just too much risk of it getting killed or killing corals when the tank is fully stocked/grow. It looks gorgeous though. I may put it in my 40 gallon

gregrocks79
12/04/2012, 10:27 AM
saf1 - Yup, I do! I have a 10 gallon sump / fuge w skimmer.

I have a total of 20 gallons of water. I agree a 5g would be WAY TOO SMALL. Maybe a seabe nem would be ok, but nothing else. When mine gets too big, I can exchange it at my LFS for something else. Or donate it to a bigger tank.

Touring
12/04/2012, 04:50 PM
Wifes 6 gallon, does fine

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/ggchula/Fish%20tanks/BAA841E5-E06B-413D-9726-6B088E8D2AB0.jpg