PDA

View Full Version : Economical power head system

rbeevers
12/02/2012, 11:57 PM
I don't want the bells and wistles of Vortech nor the $1000.00 cost. I want a pair of power heads to turn on and off on a timer and not run in reverse.

Have Korolia Evo corrected their problems yet and can they provide a reliable system with timer. Not the controllable version just plain and simple power heads with on and off timer.

I read the thread started about 2 years ago but the thread just faded out with no conclusion.

garydan
12/03/2012, 12:26 AM
Don't know about the evos, but I have three koralia magnum 5s, all turning on and off at random intervals up to 10 seconds, and two years in no problems, no running in reverse. I figured I could call them disposable and replace them yearly and still be ahead relative to the vortechs for many years...

mcgyvr
12/03/2012, 06:22 AM
I have the new Koralia EVO's.. They do start backwards still but have the bumper to correct it so it just makes a funny clicking/chatter noise for a split second then runs properly.
And any AC powerheads like these are really not suitable for timer operation no matter what they say.. BUT.. I don't care.. I have 2 and alternate them on/off every 15 minutes.. If they break..I just buy new ones.. I'd expect the faster the cycle time..The faster they wear out.

sirreal63
12/03/2012, 07:24 AM
Based on your desires, you will want the Sicce Voyager's, they have no forward or reverse, functions the same no matter which direction it spins. http://sicceus.com/voyager.html

Chaucer
12/03/2012, 08:10 AM
Have had the Evolutions running for months (11 months) now and added the smart wave late this summer. Premium Aquatics has the Evo's on sale right now also. They are not silent, but are very quite as they kick on and off, low volumn click noise. I cycle about 20 seconds on and off. Long term I'll see how well they hold up. For the price difference, with a little cleaning along the way, I just couldn't justify the Eco Tech.

Tangaray
12/03/2012, 08:24 AM
Based on your desires, you will want the Sicce Voyager's, they have no forward or reverse, functions the same no matter which direction it spins. http://sicceus.com/voyager.html

I have had two Sicce Voyagers in my 90 for over two years running on timers and have never had any problems with them.

jerpa
12/03/2012, 08:27 AM
I have never had luck with the evolutions consistently starting properly. I no longer run mine on a timer.