PDA

View Full Version : Can I have one yet?

ReefBank
12/03/2012, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone and happy Monday,

Iíve been wanting a Green Mandarin Dragonet for my set up.

My question is this, is there any way I can be comfortable that my tank is ready for one other than just the presence of copepods and amphipods?

Iíve got plenty of both in my tank but Iím not sure how much is enough to keep a dragonet happy and healthy.

My parameters are all in order and have been for a while.

Thanks for all the help!

nmouncey
12/03/2012, 11:16 AM
How old is your tank? Set up for how long, I mean? I tired after 3 months...and added pods regularly and 2 did not make it. After about 8 months, I could see the pods on the walls with my bare eyes. I had a 6 Line Wrasse in there who I believe also eats them and is a much faster mover than Dragons. So there would need to be enough food for more than just the Dragons depending on what else you had in there.

I added 2 females at about 8 months...which was 3 months ago roughly. They are healthy and active and I have added no pods. I still see them on the walls....so there must be plenty of them. The Dragons swim constantly on the hunt but never in a frantic way. Sort of leisurely picking. I may add more or different kinds of pods in the future to get more variety in their diets. But for now, they are happy and appear healthy.

Every tank is different for sure. And you can do things like adding live rock that will have life in it...and adding pods from the a store. It all helps, I assume. But it does seem to be about giving your tank enough time to build up a population.

Good luck. They are some of my favorite fish to watch.

ReefBank
12/03/2012, 03:32 PM
My tank is barely hitting two months old in the new setup but it had about 15% of its previous setup water in it and i'm using all the live rock, live sand, and sump/refuge that was full from that previous setup as well.

I think maybe since the tank was setup prior to this new setup, my pod population has increased pretty fast? I don't know if this current pod population is sustainable once I add a couple fish in there but I didn't seed them, they just developed.

I just really want to get a dragonet but have heard a couple opinions like yours about waiting. I definitely don't want to take the gamble though without being certain they can be healthy.

I'm curious if others have any different opinions. Thanks for your help.

Rembee
12/03/2012, 04:02 PM
It is recommended that your tank be up and running for atleast 8 months. I waited a year before I got my scooter blenny which is a dragonet.
What is your present fish list? This will help to better answer your question.

You can also re-post your question in the " PLEASE check out your intended fish purchases here first!" thread at the top of the "New to the Hobby forum.

Steve aka Snorvich would be happy to answer your question and he is an expert in this forum.

Happy Reefing

aNDoN
12/03/2012, 05:30 PM
IME, it's a gamble if your tank isn't thoroughly seeded. Although I've had a great success rate with them eating cyclopeeze shortly after being added to the tank. Once they start eating prepared, you're normally golden.