PDA

View Full Version : Please post your negative experiences on products (only neagative please).

deepseadan
12/03/2012, 11:49 AM
Please hear me out. I would like to create a database type thread with only negative experiences of products. Maybe the product didn't perform, maybe customer service was terrible, or the product didn't last. Please don't argue with posts, I don't want this to become a warzone. Just a place where one might check another's experience before dropping big bucks on something. Over the last 17 years I've spent a lot of money because of "positive" reviews that haven't panned out. Now before I buy I always check the negative reviews first. Usually the negative reviewers have owned the product for a while and something wasn't right. Please be as nice as possible.

I hope this can turn into the type of thread where multiple negatives on a certain product might mean to be weary, and very few if any negatives on another product might mean it lives up to its name. I'll try and start off.

deepseadan
12/03/2012, 12:01 PM
"Eco Aqualizer" Water Purifier. I used this product on my reef after my lfs couldn't speak highly enough about them. I bought one for my established reef hoping for some new results of some kind. It supposedly "renews" the water with molecular ionization. I used it for over a year and never saw any noticeable results at any time. I definitely wouldn't purchase another, and they were expensive.

mcgyvr
12/03/2012, 12:11 PM
Impossible.. You get bad reviews/bad experiences all the time due to the users incorrect application. I'd hate to see a good product added because someone didn't know how to use it properly.

Not to mention the "internet" is already FULL of experiences/reviews of products and if someone can't find those they sure as heck aren't gonna find your "database"

deepseadan
12/03/2012, 12:17 PM
Impossible.. You get bad reviews/bad experiences all the time due to the users incorrect application. I'd hate to see a good product added because someone didn't know how to use it properly.

Not to mention the "internet" is already FULL of experiences/reviews of products and if someone can't find those they sure as heck aren't gonna find your "database"

Ten minutes and already someone who can't follow directions. Maybe this won't work.

cuse1
12/03/2012, 12:24 PM
I'll try.... Swc 160 come skimmer,,, great skimmer,, but the pump sucks! 3 pumps in 2 years!

dirtycontour
12/03/2012, 12:26 PM
Hanna Calcium Checker. Off the wall readings 9 out of 10 times...

deepseadan
12/03/2012, 12:29 PM
"Ecoxotic Panorama first generation led 12 watt lights". These again were being raved about at my lfs. Before I purchased I called Ecoxotic customer support for a full run down on how many I need for my tank size etc. I was told they have been proven to grow basically all corals, but sps needed to be in the upper 3rd of the tank. I bought 11 at $100 each for my tank. Without getting into a lengthy story, most of my corals weren't happy, especially my sps. I had t5 prior to these. After a few weeks I started having LEDs go out. Customer service was great, replacing almost all my modules in a five month period. But eventually after six months of unhappy corals I switched back to t5's. For me, Ecoxotic panoramas didn't work out well and are now in a drawer in my garage.

Allmost
12/03/2012, 12:31 PM
he does have a good point though Deepseadan :)

as anyone who has been in this hobby for more than 1 year knows, reef tanks are different, and if something works for me, there is no guarantee that it would work for all reef tanks out there.

add on top of that the user error ! products like amino acids for example, you will find alot of different opinions on it, it works for some, doesnt for some others ! there is no way for us to know EXACTLY why right now, cause we can not test all 70 something elements in seawater correctly :)

but to your point, some products just make claims that are out of this world and go against our science of chemistry and physics ! example one is "purple up" ! they claim that calcium carbonate will dissolve in seawater. according to our knowledge of the universe and laws of physics and observations over hundreds of years, calcium carbonate or aragonite sand[or lime stone] do not mix in seawater at PH 8.3. so the claim of the product is false and noone can argue it worked for them !

with that said, you will still find threads saying purple up works ! why is that ? cause what we call an experiment [dosing something, then observing changes] is no where close to a scientific experiment ! tank could be maturing, po4 is lowered to allow calcification, KH and CA+ are in line so coraline algae starts growing ! if the user has used the purple up product, he or she would think that the purple up was the cause ! while there is no second IDENTICAL system without purple up to show if it was indeed needed or if it was just the tank maturing and coraline algae would have started growing anyways .... so we would see alot of wrong observations, not that the poster is liying, they truly believe in it [hence why you see so many ppl defending their view, cause they believe it in their heart]
for over a year I added iodine weekly to my reef, thinking its responsible for blues, then i ran out, and didnt buy again, my blues are still blue ! so I too am guilty of this, for years I posted here saying ohhh iodine = blue, and I even defended it myself, just to find out I was wrong years later :)

sorry about the rambling lol

trinity1012
12/03/2012, 12:37 PM
ALLMOST^^^^^well said:dance:

deepseadan
12/03/2012, 12:59 PM

as anyone who has been in this hobby for more than 1 year knows, reef tanks are different, and if something works for me, there is no guarantee that it would work for all reef tanks out there.

add on top of that the user error ! products like amino acids for example, you will find alot of different opinions on it, it works for some, doesnt for some others ! there is no way for us to know EXACTLY why right now, cause we can not test all 70 something elements in seawater correctly :)

but to your point, some products just make claims that are out of this world and go against our science of chemistry and physics ! example one is "purple up" ! they claim that calcium carbonate will dissolve in seawater. according to our knowledge of the universe and laws of physics and observations over hundreds of years, calcium carbonate or aragonite sand[or lime stone] do not mix in seawater at PH 8.3. so the claim of the product is false and noone can argue it worked for them !

with that said, you will still find threads saying purple up works ! why is that ? cause what we call an experiment [dosing something, then observing changes] is no where close to a scientific experiment ! tank could be maturing, po4 is lowered to allow calcification, KH and CA+ are in line so coraline algae starts growing ! if the user has used the purple up product, he or she would think that the purple up was the cause ! while there is no second IDENTICAL system without purple up to show if it was indeed needed or if it was just the tank maturing and coraline algae would have started growing anyways .... so we would see alot of wrong observations, not that the poster is liying, they truly believe in it [hence why you see so many ppl defending their view, cause they believe it in their heart]
for over a year I added iodine weekly to my reef, thinking its responsible for blues, then i ran out, and didnt buy again, my blues are still blue ! so I too am guilty of this, for years I posted here saying ohhh iodine = blue, and I even defended it myself, just to find out I was wrong years later :)

Yeah I understand what you are saying, but I was trying to keep it to equipment, which I should have said instead of products. My hope is that with equipment like lighting, skimmers, reactors, pumps, test equipment, chillers, and so on, I and others could get real life experience on how the equipment failed people. Maybe it was user error, but that's where common sense comes in. No product is perfect, but some are junk. Maybe companies will read these reviews and listen to us.

CHSUB
12/03/2012, 01:03 PM
jbj ato, works but not correctly: junk!!!!!

trinity1012
12/03/2012, 01:06 PM
there is a worst skimmers ever made topic already,u could check that out,

Mmiller40gt
12/03/2012, 02:23 PM

I do agree, but something in purple up has me a semibeliever.. I do run two absolutely identical tanks. They get water changes, gfo, carbon changes, feed the same, pretty much same types of fish and coral. They are my wife and kids 29 Hqi reefs. Both were setup the same with same equipment one month apart. Same, rock, sand, pumps, heaters, and seeded from my large aquarium. The wife's tank came with a huge bottle of this "snake oil". I told her to use it if she wanted too. 7 months later, he has about 10% of the corraline that she does but still decent coverage. Her tank is literally encrusting in purple. That stuff is plating in some areas.. Personally I think purple up is just a kalkwasser slurry. My main tank with a huge CrX does not grow corraline like her tank, but years ago I ran a tank and used the slurry method. That reef always had the most insane corraline growth. Sucked cause it was acrylic and a major pita to clean each week. Anyway, its hard to log true results in this hobby. Even something I would never believe to work, worked for the wife.

Allmost
12/03/2012, 02:34 PM
I do agree, but something in purple up has me a semibeliever.. I do run two absolutely identical tanks. They get water changes, gfo, carbon changes, feed the same, pretty much same types of fish and coral. They are my wife and kids 29 Hqi reefs. Both were setup the same with same equipment one month apart. Same, rock, sand, pumps, heaters, and seeded from my large aquarium. The wife's tank came with a huge bottle of this "snake oil". I told her to use it if she wanted too. 7 months later, he has about 10% of the corraline that she does but still decent coverage. Her tank is literally encrusting in purple. That stuff is plating in some areas.. Personally I think purple up is just a kalkwasser slurry. My main tank with a huge CrX does not grow corraline like her tank, but years ago I ran a tank and used the slurry method. That reef always had the most insane corraline growth. Sucked cause it was acrylic and a major pita to clean each week. Anyway, its hard to log true results in this hobby. Even something I would never believe to work, worked for the wife.

well from what you described, the systems are not even close to each other ... one has calcium reactor, other doesnt.

purple up is calcium carbonate as the manufacturer claims, its not kalk.

but thanks for your post :) it proves my point, its very hard for us to discredit something that could have SOME correlation with the positive results we want.
or negative !

solitude127
12/03/2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Acrylics..... Great product, HORRIBLE customer service. He made me a custom sump and my main baffle was 10" instead of 8" and to fix it, all I asked for was a skimmer stand and I never got it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849630

Mmiller40gt
12/04/2012, 05:15 AM
well from what you described, the systems are not even close to each other ... one has calcium reactor, other doesnt.

purple up is calcium carbonate as the manufacturer claims, its not kalk.

but thanks for your post :) it proves my point, its very hard for us to discredit something that could have SOME correlation with the positive results we want.
or negative !

I have a older 90 sps tank w reactor. The identical tanks are both jbj 29 hqi, pheonix bulbs, same rock, same skimmer, same pumps, same bioload, water changes same amount same time,same salt, same food. Only diff is my sons tank is about 30 days younger and no purple up dosed. I do all feeding and maintaince on all tanks exvept the ole lady insists on using the purple up.

fishgate
12/04/2012, 06:01 AM
The problem with this thread is no one is going to look at it before making any buying decisions. Yeah maybe if they read it they might remember something, but there are product reviews all over including most websites where you buy the product right within the product's description. With that, there are good and bad reviews. With this thread, there is no frame of reference. If 1000 people buy a product and 1 person has a problem and posts here, does that do anything for the reader?

This thread would be better if you titled it, "Rant about your equipment problems in this thread!". Realistically, that is what this thread will be useful for.

gweston
12/04/2012, 06:07 AM
Jbj ato does work, but can be finicky. At least once or twice a week I need to reset the float or it'll stop working. Reset as in flick the float to unstick it. I need to replace the float. For what it does, it is ok. Not ideal. I suspect it will work very well with a quality float. I should be using the Apex instead,just been too busy to wire it up with floats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2