PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer question

Pdetevis
12/03/2012, 02:16 PM
Just hooked up a skimmer to my system
I'm using a Hydor performance skimmer with a utility pump that has an adjustable flow. With the flow all the way up the foam goes over the top and fills the cup, with the flow all the way down the foam builds up but doesn't go into the cup all the way, just little every once in awhile.

My Question, does the foam have to go over the top to spill into the cup always or if the flow is turned down all the way is it ok for the foam not to make it to the cup always, just once in awhile?

stingythingy45
12/03/2012, 02:23 PM
It takes a while before a new skimmer starts to work correctly.They have to run a while and build up a film over the plastic first.
I would run it turned down until it breaks in.Probably will take 3 -5 days.

Pdetevis
12/03/2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks, I have it all the way down now.

I hear its better to run it at a lower flow, should I ever have to turn it up or can I just leave it all the way down?

swine
12/03/2012, 04:58 PM
It takes a while before a new skimmer starts to work correctly.They have to run a while and build up a film over the plastic first.
I would run it turned down until it breaks in.Probably will take 3 -5 days.

Why turned down all the way? I turned mine up as far as it would go without excessive overflowing. this way you get the film over all surfaces and it isnt flowing so fast it cant build up.

The one thing im not sure about when cleaning the skimmer cup is if the stem of the cup where bubbles travel up should be cleaned. I get a nasty green/brown film in it. Does removing this affect the skimmers performance? Should the inside stem of the cup never be cleaned? By the way when I clean it i just rinse it out..

igadget56
12/03/2012, 10:42 PM
Yup keep it clean. That's why they make Auto. cleaners. Here's the Swabbie. I have one and it works good.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/SWABBIE

igadget56
12/03/2012, 10:44 PM
Yup keep it clean. That's why they make Auto. cleaners. Here's the Swabbie. I have one and it works good.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/SWABBIE

swine
12/05/2012, 09:57 AM
^haha, cool thanks!