PDA

View Full Version : Help please with initial Magnesium dose

2FunKids
12/03/2012, 07:40 PM
Hi, Can I please have a little help with a gut check on this magnesium dose. I am using the BRS 2 part recipe 1 magnesium solution. Please forgive me because this is the first time dosing on this new setup and I am getting back into reefing after 10 years.

My current level is 1080 PPM and my desired level is 1350. The BRS calculator says I should add 36.8 Fl Oz or 1088.7 Ml of the solution. I am weary of this because I thought this gallon of solution was going to last me a LONG time and on this initial dose I am adding over 4 cups??? Does this seem correct? Please help I would like to start this dose right away.

Best Regards

Reef_Paddy
12/03/2012, 08:08 PM
Sounds about right. You shouldn't need to dose mag too often/much once you get into the 2 part so getting the level right up front especially for mag is normal to use a bit more. Dont forget to spread the initial dose over several days.

2FunKids
12/03/2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks, It really seemed odd that after the first two weeks everything was in line, then I installed new t5's and now all of the sudden Calcium and Mag is down but the Alk is on the high side. I guess I will just chalk it up to experience and see where this takes me. Thanks again for the response, I really appreciate it. My Ca was also a bit low (360) so I started with 100 ml of the Ca solution tonight and I will do 1/4 or so of the Mag in the morning then another 100 ML of the Ca tomorrow night and the Mag again on the next morning...

Thanks

bertoni
12/03/2012, 09:27 PM
The BRS calculator seems to be accurate. Generally, it takes a lot of magnesium supplement to make a difference. I would spread that dose out over 4-5 days, though, and test after 2 days. That'll reduce any possible stress on the tank.

bertoni
12/03/2012, 09:38 PM
Threads merged... :)

2FunKids
12/10/2012, 07:08 PM
Hi, Can I please have a little help with a gut check on this magnesium dose. I am using the BRS 2 part recipe 1 magnesium solution. Please forgive me because this is the first time dosing on this new setup and I am getting back into reefing after 10 years.

My current level is 1080 PPM and my desired level is 1350. The BRS calculator says I should add 36.8 Fl Oz or 1088.7 Ml of the solution. I am weary of this because I thought this gallon of solution was going to last me a LONG time and on this initial dose I am adding over 4 cups??? Does this seem correct? Please help I would like to start this dose right away.

Best Regards

Well, I figured out why I needed so much magnesium. The instant ocean mix is very low in magnesium. I am planning on changing to reef crystals. I figured this out after doing a 15 gallon water change and noticing my mg dropped quite a bit.

bertoni
12/10/2012, 09:18 PM
Hmm, that's too bad. We do see a lot of salt problems, though. I'd try mixing up what remains of the dry salt, to see whether that helps. Sometimes, the products seem to settle during shipment.

MatthewLaw
12/11/2012, 02:16 PM
i agree. thanks to bertoni's help, it takes A LOT of magnesium supplement to get it up.

SHAKEEL
12/11/2012, 03:25 PM
But once your there it takes only a little daily or week to keep it there (depending on your coral load)

2FunKids
12/11/2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the idea to mix it up..I will give it a try. After a few google searches I did find that I am not the only one realizing the IO mix is kind of low in Mg.

I was really perplexed when I kept having to add Mg when I thought it would be pretty stable....thats when I looked to the IO. Well, hopefully someone can learn from my experience.:spin2:

2FunKids
12/11/2012, 06:29 PM
Bertoni, I see your salt sticky shows that the IO should be good on Mg...I am going to mix it now...:wavehand:

2FunKids
12/11/2012, 06:59 PM
Bertoni, I see your salt sticky shows that the IO should be good on Mg...I am going to mix it now...:wavehand:

Wow, that mixing was a workout, do most of you mix your salt before you use it?

bertoni
12/12/2012, 12:43 AM
I never had any problems, so I didn't bother, but I might just have been lucky.

chewdoggie
12/13/2012, 12:51 AM
Yes, I dry mix all my salt buckets before mixing. The easiest way to do it is to but one of those concrete mixing drill bits...like when you mix up mortar. Best few dollars you can spend compared to rolling the bucket or other methods.

I mix with Red Sea Coral Pro and you must dry mix that before use in my experience and then use a very vigorous pump to mix. After I finish this last bucket tho, I plan to go back to NeoMarine....it takes less work and just seems to mix better. The RSCP has left a residue behind and ruined a few mixing containers. Now that I have a nice salt mixing drum I won't risk it by putting that in.

IO salt is a fish only salt mix imho. A lot of stores use it because its cheap and readily available via pallet from their distributor. Plus many lfs do mix it at a lower gravity thus the Ca, alk, mg levels are low in your new water. Some shops will knock the mix up for you to a higher salinity...but if you have a reef then I think its worth it to find a shop that offers premium premixed reef salt or mix your own. But always test the new water so you know...don't assume anything.

2FunKids
12/20/2012, 11:53 AM
More great tips, thanks!!

jerpa
12/20/2012, 02:41 PM
I've been using IO for the last few years. I buy the boxes because they come in smaller 50 gallon bags which ,in my mind at least, reduce the settling problems I've seen reported with 5 gallon buckets. Mine has always tested close to the parameters listed in the sticky although every brand has bad batches get through QC.