PDA

View Full Version : 30 Gal advice

JohnnySquids
12/05/2012, 05:13 AM
just looking for a general opinion on this.
i know my tank is small, i have a 10g sump underneath.

i change 8 gal of water a week.
i dont dose
my lights are on 6 hours a day
i feed mysis shrimp and photofeast once a day..

i have about 6 hermits/snails
a clown
2 gobbys
2 blood shrimp.

is that colt coral to high?
is the hammer too low??
is 8 gal water changes too much???
should i not be thinking of dosing with such a small tank???

http://s15.postimage.org/414i6j17f/wholetank.jpg

Ocean Paradise
12/05/2012, 06:50 AM
8 gallons is a bit more than my usual water change, usually I only go for 5 gallons.

SecretiveFish
12/05/2012, 10:30 AM
is that colt coral to high?
is the hammer too low??
is 8 gal water changes too much???
should i not be thinking of dosing with such a small tank???

- I think the location of your colt coral is fine, these tend to be pretty hardy corals that are not too picky about life...
- The location of your hammer coral seems fine too, the tentacles are nice and extended. The coral is showing no signs of distress.
- As far as the water changes being too much, it really depends on your system. Based off of your picture, your tank is doing well. If you want to try smaller water changes, you can but just monitor your tank.
- No one can answer whether you should be dosing or not unless you do the water tests. Have you tested alkalinity, magnesium, calcium, ph? That will give you your answer as whether you should dose or not.

ERivera65
12/05/2012, 11:31 AM
I have a 29 biocube and I change 5 gallons every week. I use natural sea water since it readily available in my area. I live in Miami so I'm next to the ocean lol. I dose c-balance every week or two weeks depending on what my calcium level is. My majority of corals are LPS except for my two small montis. The natural seawater has chemicals in it already so I just dose when needed.