PDA

View Full Version : Will this filtration system work?

Schplitter
12/05/2012, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone. I have been doing some planning and this is what I came up with for the filtration system for the 110 gal tank. (48X18X31)

Everything has to fit under the tank so it's a bit of a mess. I still have to figure out where to place a ATO reservoir. and how to run everything back form the pump to the tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7093&pictureid=48612

Overflow box -> down the pipe -> through the Refugium/Cheato -> Down to a filter sock -> into the 29 gal sump -> skimmer chamber -> return chamber -> back up to the tank via the return pump.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7093&pictureid=48725

picker
12/05/2012, 10:28 AM
Nice! Two air assisted drains and full flow through the fuge.

Perhaps grow hair algae rather than cheato in the fuge?

There will be a fast flow over the fuge to second drain box weir with a good chance of splashing and noise. Another idea might be to cantilever a high box over 29g that the sock would drop in. This would slow the flow for less splash/noise (wider feed to sock) overflow protection (one wall of cantilever socks box lower to drain into the 29g and easier to change socks :-)

Epicreefer
12/05/2012, 03:42 PM
I would build in an emergency overflow from the fuge to the main sump. If the one you have clogs then it could overflow. It could be anywhere, it doesn't need to be in that overflow section but make sure it's not going to clog. Also if that's just one overflow from the tank I would but an emergency back up on that two, just in case.

Something else to consider is you have your fuge before the filter sock and skimmer, you will get nutrient reduction from the fuge but pods and such won't make it through the filter sock. Not a big deal most of the time but if you want a scooter bleney or mandarin in the future having unfiltered fuge water could be beneficial. I woul just rotate the sump and pump 180, have the tank drain directly to the sock add a pump from the clean water side of the sump to the fuge to get pods going back to the display. If your not going to have these harder to keep fish that mostly eat pods The way you got it now will work well.

uncleof6
12/05/2012, 04:07 PM
The double gravity feed will not work as planned. Any variation, in the drains and they will not vary equally--because air assisted drains are unstable, will result in a flood. Namely from the fuge tank. Power feed the fuge with the return pump, and gravity drain (if you must--a baffle would work better) back to the sump.

Along with that, you would need valves in the drain lines, and it is unwise to put a valve in a single drain line. It restricts the line, and makes it more prone to plugging. Another flood risk.

tidewater
12/05/2012, 04:36 PM
To cut down on the noise I would ditch the 90's and use 45's.