PDA

View Full Version : Cyano outbreak... lighting?

kingpin9995
12/05/2012, 02:52 PM
I recently switched out a Kessil 350 to a 250 halide and 4 t5 combo and have notice a slight outbreak of cyano, the red crap, on my 54 corner bowfront reef tank. I started out with6 hours a day on the halide and 9 with the t5's. Any ideas why the outbreak?

kingpin9995
12/05/2012, 02:54 PM
All my parameters are dead on....

azjohnny
12/05/2012, 04:47 PM
Cyno is a bacteria imbalance, I started getting a little it after I started using bio pellets, its not that big of a deal Just keep it siphoned. You could try using a bacteria supplement, some people claim bacteria supplements to not work but I swear by them

ken6217
12/05/2012, 04:59 PM
Just a coincidence.

Siphon it out and see if you can direct more flow to that area.
Ken

wildman926
12/05/2012, 05:01 PM
Cyno is a bacteria imbalance, I started getting a little it after I started using bio pellets, its not that big of a deal Just keep it siphoned. You could try using a bacteria supplement, some people claim bacteria supplements to not work but I swear by them

What bacteria supplement are you using?

Michigan Mike
12/05/2012, 05:38 PM
What halide and t5 bulbs are you using.
I would ditch any lower kelvin bulbs and use more blue spectrum bulbs and run less hours.

Painted skin
12/05/2012, 05:52 PM
Just a coincidence.

Siphon it out and see if you can direct more flow to that area.
Ken

+1 getting cyano in that area tells me that's one of your dead spots. How old are those bulbs? If they are old I'd replace them.

azjohnny
12/05/2012, 06:11 PM
What bacteria supplement are you using?

Microbactor 7, I use a capful for every 50gals of water with a WC, IMO it keeps the system stable. They say to not run your skimmer for 4 hours after dosing

Michigan Mike
12/05/2012, 06:14 PM
The parameters your testing for are fine, maybe. But excess nutrients, silicates , phosphates along with low kelvin yellow/red lighting and a lack of flow can hasten growth.
Use RO/DI water, GFO or other phosphate removers, more circulation and new/blue dominate lighting.

kingpin9995
12/06/2012, 01:02 PM
I use a Phoenix 250 watt metal halide and four 24 wattATI t5's , two blue plus , one coral plus , and one purple plus . The fixture is 1 month old. It seems the outbreak is right in the center of my rock structure on the sand bed and very little on rocks. I have a 54 corner bowfront with two powerheads on either side facing each other. One moving more up toward the surface and one down somewhat toward the middle. My rock structure is in a horseshoe with an open middle. I wonder if the flow in the center is not so good. Maybe I will try moving one of the wavemakers down toward the sand. It's not real bad but wondered if going from the Kessil to the halide had something to do with this outbreak..?