PDA

View Full Version : Mickey mouse worm or what?

saitoking
12/05/2012, 08:35 PM
Ok this is the first time I have seen this worm like animal anyone know what it is? It looks very funny lunging up the glass, head going up and down. It has 2 ear like thing looks like Mickey mouse except for the long body can't see any eyes either. It's about 1/2 inch long. Thanks saitoking

LeslieH
12/05/2012, 08:59 PM
Not a worm at all. It's a little opistobranch in the genus Elysia. They only eat green algae.
Here's a similar species -
http://seaslugsofhawaii.com/species/Elysia-nealae-a.html

saitoking
12/06/2012, 12:30 AM
Not a worm at all. It's a little opistobranch in the genus Elysia. They only eat green algae.
Here's a similar species -
http://seaslugsofhawaii.com/species/Elysia-nealae-a.html

Cool any thing that eats algae is cool in my book. Thanks for your help saitoking

saitoking
12/11/2012, 10:44 PM
More hitchhikers 1st picture I am not sure what it is kind of looks like the opistobranch but moves in a different way more snail like, it glides along. Anyone can help ID this would be a great help. The 2nd picture I think is a Stomatella. 3rd picture is another picture of the opistobranch.

LeslieH
12/11/2012, 11:45 PM
You're right about the 2nd one - it's Stomatella. The 1st & 3rd are both Elysia.

saitoking
12/12/2012, 04:40 PM
You're right about the 2nd one - it's Stomatella. The 1st & 3rd are both Elysia.

Thanks I would guess the Elysias are different species because they look quite abit different from the top and move in a different way? Thanks saitoking

LeslieH
12/13/2012, 10:01 AM
They might be or might not. Color is variable and for something that small, color is really altered by how you light & photograph it.

saitoking
01/25/2013, 12:51 AM
It has been awhile now but some how they are multiplying. Tonight I counted 8 opistobranch in my tank just wondering how they reproduce anyone know? Thanks Charles

saitoking
02/03/2013, 12:45 AM
Tonight I was doing my weekly vacuum and water change when pouring out the dirt I spotted something in the sink, very small but it was a brittle star I think. It is very small so small it looked like hair in the sink.

LeslieH
02/03/2013, 12:26 PM
Branchs are all hermaphrodites. when they mate the two individuals simultaneously exchange sperm & fertilize each other's eggs. If a single individual carrying eggs comes into a tank and the conditions are favorable it won't be long before there's a reproducing population. Since many branchs are specialized feeders once the food is removed or completely eaten they will die out.

Cute little star.

saitoking
02/03/2013, 12:32 PM
Branchs are all hermaphrodites. when they mate the two individuals simultaneously exchange sperm & fertilize each other's eggs. If a single individual carrying eggs comes into a tank and the conditions are favorable it won't be long before there's a reproducing population. Since many branchs are specialized feeders once the food is removed or completely eaten they will die out.

Cute little star.

Well I hope they don't run out of food, I have a 125 and they are 8 so far and I only have a few snails and blue legged crabs. I also have spotted a few stomatella that are growing pretty fast too. thanks for the info saitoking