PDA

View Full Version : Particulates in water :/

ag09g
12/06/2012, 10:31 PM
So I have a JBJ 28g tank that I sent up in mid September. After adding very fine grain sand the tank was cloudy and then cleared up beautifully, and soon after setting it up I added liverock. Unsurprisingly the liverock stirred up the sand, but again by the next day all had settled nicely.

My issue is that since the cycle (and subsequent mass die off of sponge matter) there is small particulate matter constantly in my water column. Also there are tiny bubbles, but its definitely not only bubbles.

I didnt change any of the equipment that came with the tank for the first two and a half months. Last week I got a tunze skimmer thinking that might help, but had to remove the little filter compartment because its the only place the skimmer would fit. So its been about a week now since the skimmer was put in, but the water is no better. Its not worse, but still not better.

The issue is not overly obvious except for when Im trying to take a video or picture up close, but Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or what I can do fix it.

Curtis72
12/06/2012, 11:18 PM
Well the skimmer probably isnt fully broken in yet. Are the particles reducing since youve been using the skimmer? Can try running some carbon.

ag09g
12/06/2012, 11:49 PM
The original filter had carbon included so that didnt seem to make a difference.
And yes im hoping the skimmer is still getting broken in, but its been producing skimmate since the second day and I havent noticed a decrease in particles. Although if its happening slowly enough maybe im just not realizing its happening...

ryeguyy84
12/07/2012, 07:29 AM
is there anywhere you can put some filter floss of a sponge to take out any particulate?

I think saltwater is always going to have some stuff floating around but it should be excessive.

Curtis72
12/07/2012, 04:28 PM
I dont really trust "Carbon filter pads" Nowhere near as good as running straight carbon in a reactor. If anything get a media bag and put some activated carbon in it and put it in a heavy flow area and also filter floss will help as well to capture the particles.

ag09g
12/07/2012, 06:03 PM
The carbon I have is straight carbon in a bag haha, not a filter pad. After adding the skimmer I wanted to try and shove the carbon bag in a little space where the water overflows into the back compartments, but it was too big to fit. I decided to just kinda toss it on top of one of the pumps because I didnt know what to do with it and thought that water would be forced through it due to the pump sucking it in.

I can get some filter floss and shove it where the water overflows, but I think some of the issue is that the stuff is just floating in the water and not actually going through the overflow to allow the skimmer/sponges or anything else to take it out.

Also I dont know if the issue is really that big of a deal or if im just nitpicking....
And also upon looking again today, there are a ton of microbubbles that may be more of an issue that the actual particulates.

Curtis72
12/07/2012, 06:10 PM
Ah I understand now sorry. Well that could be a probably what do you have for flow on your tank?

The micro bubbles are probably from the skimmer? My guess. In this case you need to adjust the airflow higher and make sure you are running at optimal water height for the skimmer which i think is like 8inches for a tunze 9002.