PDA

View Full Version : feather duster doomed?

Megatrev62
12/07/2012, 07:17 PM
Thought I'd ask here for quick response. Have had an ornamental feather duster for about 10 weeks now and was looking brilliant. Just fed the tank and whatever it picked up was fine I guess.Doing excellent since introduction.

Last night while making my 3x a week visit to my tank, I noticed it wasn't looking so vibrant, so I touched it and it retracted a little but not the usual "gone in a millisecond" response. Not fully open as it always was.
Does anyone know if this means its demise? Appreciate all input.

Water parameters are unchanged as well.

altolamprologus
12/07/2012, 09:47 PM
It's starving to death. Ornamental feather dusters only eat live phytoplankton so if you haven't been feeding it that, it hasn't eaten since you got it. They typically take 2-6 months to starve to death and a slow reaction time is a sign that the end is near if you don't start feeding it immediately.

LeslieH
12/07/2012, 11:44 PM
They eat more than that but it depends on what species & the size. In general, fan worms will take suspended particulate matter, organic matter, bacteria, phytoplankton and zooplankton. Part of the problem is that they usually need a well established tank which can provide those things. Also, if you spot feed them, you should do it frequently and - very important - release the food below the crown, not to the side or above it. The crown is covered with millions of tiny hairs that create micro-currents to push water up through the feathers.

Megatrev62
12/08/2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks for your help. I will feed it as mentioned. The tank is well established, about 2.5 years with aged rock from the start. I hope I can reverse the decline.

Megatrev62
12/08/2012, 02:06 AM
Where do you obtain live phytoplankton?

LeslieH
12/08/2012, 10:06 AM
Lots of places sell it.

One other thought -- if the worm is dying that may not have anything to do with your tank. You may just have bought an old one. Unlike corals which can go on for decades and longer under the right conditions worms have finite lifespans.

Megatrev62
12/08/2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks age of the animal never crossed my mind. So this phytoplankton in a bottle is the live stuff? Thanks