PDA

View Full Version : Fu Manchu Lion?

sponger0
12/08/2012, 07:49 AM
Im interested in getting a Fu Manchu lionfish. Ive always been fascinated by lionfish. But honestly scared to death of them lol.

I am considering getting a 58 gallon to turn into a tank for one.

What are the realities of actually getting stung? Thats the only thing holding me back.

Also, what other fish would be safe to put with one?

Palting
12/08/2012, 09:51 AM
I started a predator tank, have a russel lion and a new radiata lion, as well as a bluethroat trigger. Lots of very knowledgeable lionfish fans at the fish only forum, sponger, and I've been hanging out over there. Check them out as you plan your lion tank.

Anyway, to directly answer your question, lionfish are like puppies, craving only attention and food. I even hand feed my lions :). They don't use the spines to attack, only for defense. I can say with absolute confidence that a lion will NEVER stick you with their spines. If you get stuck it is not because the lion stuck you, it's because you stuck yourself.

As to what other fish, there are only two general limitations. One, they cannot be any smaller than half the lion's size, because if they are they will fit into the lion's cavernous mouth and will be eaten. Two, some fish tend to see those flowing fins as food or a treat and nibble on them, so stay away from those fish. Triggers are a prime example. Now, these are just general recommendations as there are exceptions to the rule. As examples, my 8" lionfish appears to be friends with two 1" blue damsels, since they just wave hello to each another as they pass each other by LOL!! Certain triggers, the planktonic feeder types like my blue throat trigger, can co-exist with lions.

sponger0
12/08/2012, 09:58 AM
Palting, nice new avatar :)

Im finding out that yes most of the times people are stung by lions, its at the hobbyists own fault. Guess just the phrase 'venomous' freaks me out lol.

Im also learning about the tankmate size. But unfortunately this is only going to be a 58 gallon so Im sticking with the FU manchu lion. Plus its my favorite lionfish...maybe....volitans are pretty sweet too.

Maybe I could try the yellwo tailed damsels with him. Not sure yet as this is all in the research/planning phase...but I am extremely interested in doing this.

I have also posted in the fish forum.

What do you feed yours? Im looking at how to feed them also.

Palting
12/08/2012, 10:05 AM
Some lions are easy to wean from live food, others are not. But you want them to get off live freshwater feeder food because these types of fish do not have the correct fat ratio for marine fish. I feed mine frozen silversides (saltwater minnows), pieces of shrimp and clam, and the occasional frozen krill. To fool the lion into thinking these funny looking pieces are live food, I use a feeding stick and wiggle the pieces in front of him and let him chase it a bit. Sometimes I just hold the tail of the silversides :eek: . Live ghost shrimp is the better live food to use as you wean them to prepared food.

sponger0
12/08/2012, 10:09 AM
Thats what Ive also read so far.

I dont think I would ever attempt hand feeding....no no no lol

So what if I caught saltwater minnows local here? I live 20 minutes from a beach. Id still like to see him hunt food. :)

Palting
12/08/2012, 10:23 AM
Thats what Ive also read so far.

I dont think I would ever attempt hand feeding....no no no lol

So what if I caught saltwater minnows local here? I live 20 minutes from a beach. Id still like to see him hunt food. :)

Live saltwater minnows would be great! "Hunting" is not really the right term. More like "See and GULP". LOL!! And lions are gluttons, so you can't really stock your main tank with minnows for them to hunt at their leisure. There are reports of lionfish eating themselves to death!!

sponger0
12/08/2012, 10:30 AM
Ok I wasnt sure if any saltwater minnows would be ok. But I live in an area right on the coast of cheasapeake bay and atlantic ocean so saltwater minnows would be easy to get from a bait and tackle shop. And pretty cheap too Im sure. Thought it would be a good alternative to fresh water.

Welll yea just gulp haha. I watched a video of a Fu Manchu eating....its so cool and very different from the volitans eating.

crypteria
12/08/2012, 02:41 PM
The Fu Manchu is a very personable, mellow fish. I started off feeding mine gut loaded grass shrimp, then he converted to PE mysis in about 10 days. He'll eat almost any frozen food now. Make sure you put in some caves in the DT since they don't appreciate bright lights.

I'd be careful with putting minnows in there since they may bring in diseases with them. Maybe freshwater dip the minnows (at the minimum) before you feed them, unless you are willing to set up a small QT tank for them. Gut load them first too.

It's easy to over feed lionfish....

Good luck!

sponger0
12/08/2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Unfortuantely this is just at the planning research phase so I have a lot to read and learn before I jump in and start building it. I am going to put some cool caves and spots for the lion to hang out

cody6766
12/08/2012, 03:00 PM
Be aware when you're working in the tank. My dwarf fuzzy that I had woudl rush the surface like a begging puppy when I tried to work in the tank. I never got tagged, but I sure watched out for it. I would hate for an excited lion to zap me while I was cleaning his poo! On the bright side, it will only hurt for a bit. Unless you're allergic to it, they're not truly dangerous.