PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe threads

azjohnny
12/09/2012, 01:38 PM
Has anybody used PVC pipe dope (Christy's Red Hot) to seal PVC threads in stead of teflon tape. Just an idea I got, in the past I have had problems with some of my PVC joints leaking even after using a lot of teflon tape

billdogg
12/09/2012, 02:03 PM
Teflon tape on threaded connections usually leaks because it is wrapped the wrong direction, too much is used, or both. I prefer to use TFE (teflon ) paste instead - just a small bead on the male threads works great. Using PVC glue on threaded fitting would be a nightmare, IMO, because it would be trying to set up before you could get the joint fully together.

Epicreefer
12/09/2012, 02:56 PM
With tape you really only want 3-4 wraps in the direction of the threads so it tightens instead of loosening while tightening the joint. I have used dope too, it's more reliable but can get pretty messy. Also look for the blue monster pipe tape. It's thicker and seals real well all the time. I think lows caries it, haven't seen it at home depot.

jerpa
12/09/2012, 05:43 PM
+1 for Blue Monster. I've only seen it at Lowe's as well.

Most leaks are caused by over-tightening and/or too much tape. Finger tight and then an additional half-turn or so.

Mr. Demeanor
12/09/2012, 10:59 PM
Use 3M 5200 adhesive sealant and it will NEVER leak. It is a polysulfide sealant we use in the marine industry.

nanolover80
12/10/2012, 12:47 AM
I agree with jerpa +1 for the Blue M.