PDA

View Full Version : Lowsingle's 22 gallon zero edge aquarium build

lowsingle
12/09/2012, 10:32 PM
Hi all, I am downsizing due to moving (I recently moved to Agoura Hills CA), so I thought I would chronicle my build. I am going with a zero edge aquarium, the 22 gallon rectangle. I have heard of all of the troubles people have had over the years trying to maintain them, so I am taking it slow to get exactly what I want (I currently have a buddy in the DC area holding all of my corals for me). I plan on having a custom stand and sump for this system and I believe it will take some time to get everything together. Zero edge has been an absolute pain to deal with and the tank has been delayed for some time, that said, I finally got the tank delivered but it was damaged during shipment. I've decided to fix the tank rather than fight with them over a refund (they have not returned my email, but dealing with them is a different story, perhaps I will put something in the vendor experience forum). Now that I have the tank, I have created a drawing in SketchUp, which is a free 3 dimensional drawing app from Google (I just started using it, but for being free it is pretty cool). I have attached a few pictures from the drawing to get things started....

I hope to use the drawings to begin the discussion with my custom stand and sump builder. I will try to update as things unfold.....

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/lowsingle/zeroedgetank.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/lowsingle/zeroedgetank2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/lowsingle/zeroedgetankwithdimensions1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/lowsingle/zeroedgetankwithdimensions2.jpg

cheers,
Darren

LOMBO
12/10/2012, 08:44 PM
I have the same zero edge got it on Craigslist have had it up for 2 years and love it yea it needs cleaned a little more but the perspective you get looking down on your corals is awesome. As far as fish it's a challenge stay with damsels or angels or small tangs. Anything that jumps or is lazy will slide over the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lowsingle
12/10/2012, 09:07 PM
How do inverts do like shrimp and crabs?

I have the same zero edge got it on Craigslist have had it up for 2 years and love it yea it needs cleaned a little more but the perspective you get looking down on your corals is awesome. As far as fish it's a challenge stay with damsels or angels or small tangs. Anything that jumps or is lazy will slide over the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lowsingle
12/30/2012, 07:33 PM
Here is a pic of the tank....after not hearing anything from zero edge for some time the tank arrives at my house....it was only packed in a cardboard box with no packaging other than another box....so of course the tank arrived broken (see picture below--lower left corner of tank). They have not contacted me so I guess I am going to fix it myself myself....I have the acrylic pieces so it shouldn't be too tough.....if you have any recommendations let me know.....

cheers,
Darren

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/lowsingle/DSC02455.jpg

dublo8
12/30/2012, 08:17 PM
Just get a little weld-on and it will be good as new. Tank looks cool though. Can't wait to to see it going.

premilove
12/30/2012, 09:05 PM
weld-on 16 should work just fine

NanoReefWanabe
12/30/2012, 11:11 PM
that is ridiculous, for the price you pat for that type of tank it should be flawless upon arrival, for that matter anything you buy new should be...

and seriously, who ever said small tangs in that tank should give their head a shake...tangs have no business in most tanks let alone a nano tank. only fish suitable for a tank of this size are small clowns, gobies, damsels and possibly small cardinals might be okay too...you might get away with a dwarf angel. and i would stay away from dotty backs and wrasses as well

lowsingle
12/30/2012, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure if I am even going to have fish in this tank.....the tank is primarily going to be a display for my high end LPS corals (chalices, favias and acans). I've been toying with the idea of having a wartskin angler, but who knows....

cheers,
Darren

that is ridiculous, for the price you pat for that type of tank it should be flawless upon arrival, for that matter anything you buy new should be...

and seriously, who ever said small tangs in that tank should give their head a shake...tangs have no business in most tanks let alone a nano tank. only fish suitable for a tank of this size are small clowns, gobies, damsels and possibly small cardinals might be okay too...you might get away with a dwarf angel. and i would stay away from dotty backs and wrasses as well

lowsingle
12/31/2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks dublo8 and premilove.....that's what I was going to try.....

cheers,
Darren

yukyuklee
12/31/2012, 12:06 AM
thats crap! i would wait until after the new years and try calling them again. If you can resist not trying to fix it just to get your tank started I really think you should wait to hear from them

muhli
12/31/2012, 12:07 AM
For that unique of a tank, I would try to contact them again for a replacement.
Sure fixing it would repair it, but it would just "cheapen" the tank and ruins it aesthetically if not done properly. And who knows, it might not hold up.
Just from my perspective...

DC650
12/31/2012, 06:09 AM
That sucks. Hopefully you can get it replaced.

prjct92eh2
01/02/2013, 01:53 PM
yeah i would get a replacement. would hate for you to get it nice and settled and it start leaking from there or something.

E30 E T A
01/04/2013, 04:49 PM
For what you pay for these tanks,you'd think the customer service would be great. I would just send emails every day until they reply. Its a shame as these are really great tanks. Hope you get it sorted it out and get this baby rolling!