PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to help myself :S

ACBlinky
12/10/2012, 10:14 AM
I know some of you out there consider yourself 'addicts'; I'm starting to understand! I discovered several places to purchase coral online, developed a decent relationship with them, and now I'm seeing some of their stock before it hits the website and purchasing WAY too much!

I can't seem to help myself -- I see things that are much more beautiful than the coral available at the LFS (which, for me, is an hour away), and I look at a tank that is mostly bare rock at this point, and just NEED to have that frag... and that one... and another one...

Christmas comes early for me this year -- in a couple of days, FedEx is going to make me one happy reefer. I'll post pictures of everything; I'm sure there's someone out there who will get a kick out of seeing a big box of happiness!

*Sigh* there really ought to be some kind of organization, a 12-step program, for us.

Painted skin
12/10/2012, 10:50 AM
*Sigh* there really ought to be some kind of organization, a 12-step program, for us.

1 step hand over your credit cards and wallet/or purse to your spouse, unless they are into SW too then you're doomed. :rollface:

DopeCantWin
12/10/2012, 11:08 AM
Just don't try to go to one of those addicts meetings, it will be like that scene from Half Baked with Bob Saget.

ACBlinky
12/10/2012, 12:23 PM
1 step hand over your credit cards and wallet/or purse to your spouse, unless they are into SW too then you're doomed. :rollface:

No... no, that won't work at all. Hubby is a pilot (private, not commercial), and he wants to buy his own plane. My piddly little coral purchases would pale in comparison to the cost of even the most reasonable small plane. I wish I could buy him one for christmas, but $35,000+ is an awful lot of money and I enjoy being able to eat, pay my rent and put clothes on my son's back :/

Driver13
12/10/2012, 12:40 PM
I always get the bug. Then when my tank is completely full and I feel accomplished, I tear it down and start over with something else. This is a sick hobby. Sick I tell you.

Redhaloangel
12/10/2012, 01:05 PM
i just started like 3/4 months ago.. IF that! and i allready have 3 tanks.. and ill be getting another tank for free... 10g, 30g, 75g... i started with the 10.. thinking that will be big enough for a clown and a anemone but people said too small, so i got the 30 gallon to get started with, and i fell in love! and now i just got my 75 gallon in.. it is cycling getting ready.. and now my bf's mom wants to get rid of her tank that is in storage in abox, and is is bigger than the 10g but smaller then my 30 gallon.. so .. yeah.. talk about ADDICTED! lol

saf1
12/10/2012, 01:16 PM
I say drop the reef hobby for a bit or downsize and buy the plane. However, planes don't stop after the initial investment :( You then have routine maintenance (unless he/she is certified) which increases the overall cost. Not to mention parking, fuel, etc.

However, how cool is it to just pack a bag, set a course, and be on your way? Back some scuba and our little controlled environment becomes unlimited :) But seriously back on topic.

No, once the hook is set the only control after that is how much space you are limited to. Even then we often find that we put other wheels in motion for future upgrades or changes to the system :)

Painted skin
12/10/2012, 06:13 PM
i just started like 3/4 months ago.. IF that! and i allready have 3 tanks.. and ill be getting another tank for free... 10g, 30g, 75g... i started with the 10.. thinking that will be big enough for a clown and a anemone but people said too small, so i got the 30 gallon to get started with, and i fell in love! and now i just got my 75 gallon in.. it is cycling getting ready.. and now my bf's mom wants to get rid of her tank that is in storage in abox, and is is bigger than the 10g but smaller then my 30 gallon.. so .. yeah.. talk about ADDICTED! lol

Yup, the saltwater bug really bites you hard and deep when you're just starting off. Like me in the beginning I said "ah I'm just going to stick around the $3000 budget " $7000 later that didn't work out too well. It's a good thing I'm not into drugs, I'd be a junkie by now.

Redhaloangel
12/10/2012, 06:18 PM
haha soo true so true! i know.. i was lucky with my 75 gallon.. i got everything to go with it also a good light plus purple tang, dragonet, and flame angel for 3000, came with sump, uv sterilizer, really good lights corals, two fire shrimps, 2 urchens, like tons and tons of rock, timer for the lights and its all in good condition only a year old.. he told me it cost him total 7000.... so pretty stoked about it.. plus my little 30 gallon with all my fish and corals cost me 1000+ with my lights and everything.. prolly like 1500 totall.. lol its expensive, but you have a peice of the ocean in your house! its awesome.. im a lifer.. lol :)

ACBlinky
12/10/2012, 06:25 PM
I say drop the reef hobby for a bit or downsize and buy the plane.

I am going to pretend I didn't see this. I JUST got back into reefing after four years away, there's no stopping now :D

The plane is going to happen, it's just going to take some time. My christmas present to hubby involves a big chunk of money towards his dream, put into an account where deposits are easy, withdrawals difficult, so in effect it will be a piggy bank we can't break into.

redhaloangel -- you have a very serious condition known as MTS or 'multiple tank syndrome'. Seek help immediately! Left untreated, MTS can result in crazy dreams of walling off a room and filling it with saltwater, ordering sharks and large fish online, with dreams of recouping costs by charging admission. Most times, this does not go well. :D

i3oosted
12/10/2012, 06:26 PM
I just wanted to start an AIO 29g biocube. Instead I pieced together a 75g reef tank with fish. New LED fixture on its way and now thinking of starting a pico tank also.

Why God, why...

Painted skin
12/10/2012, 06:33 PM
I am going to pretend I didn't see this. I JUST got back into reefing after four years away, there's no stopping now :D

The plane is going to happen, it's just going to take some time. My christmas present to hubby involves a big chunk of money towards his dream, put into an account where deposits are easy, withdrawals difficult, so in effect it will be a piggy bank we can't break into.

redhaloangel -- you have a very serious condition known as MTS or 'multiple tank syndrome'. Seek help immediately! Left untreated, MTS can result in crazy dreams of walling off a room and filling it with saltwater, ordering sharks and large fish online, with dreams of recouping costs by charging admission. Most times, this does not go well. :D

ahaha, that's classic "MTS".

Go hard or go home! lol :thumbsup: