PDA

View Full Version : algae problem

reefboy55
12/10/2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure what it is but I have red algae growing all over my rocks. What can I do to get rid of it?

Mikelush78
12/10/2012, 01:41 PM
What are your water parameters?
How often are you doing water changes?

coralsnaked
12/10/2012, 02:11 PM
You say red algae and first thing anyone will say is cyano. But looking at the pic it seems to be a hair like algae and color can be so mis leading with pic shots of aquariums.

Cyano means you need better water quality IE less Nitrates and Phospahates and is really one of the easier "Algae" to get rid of. It is actually a bacteria and by reducing the amount of fuel to the bacteria it will rid itself. Less importation and more exportation of NO3 and PO4 will do it in the long run as well as good virculation, and Chemiclean will take csare of it in the short run.

Hair and brush algae ar emore difficult to get rid of and takes a while longer. And requires more diligence.

Bryopsis and Derbisia are the toughest and requires a full onslought of action to rid the aquairium of these pests. You nearly have to starve your corals to kill this stuff off. Some results will XXXX elevations of magnesium to 1800+ ppm to combat bryopsis.

But here's what you do:
1. Stop feeding the algae by lowering the amount of trates and phates in the water. You do this by reducing the amount of food you put into your tank as well as the types of food. Flakes are bad and frozen is better.
2. Get the trates and phates out by exportation. A really good skimmer is the best solution, set to a good wet skim.
3. Other good forms of exportation is the use of carbon and GFO in a reator to absorb them.
4 Macro algae in the sump to absorb them.
5. Good cleaning habits, keep the fitrationclean and deterus out of the tank.
6 A good clean up crew of snails, crabs, shrimp, ect...
7 frequent (weekly) water changes totaling 20% a month
8. reduce the number of fish in the tank
9 Increase the amount of rock in the tank
10 If you have a sand bottom keep good sand sifters and vaccum weekly and never stir it.

Hope this helps you find a Merry Skerry

bertoni
12/10/2012, 09:12 PM
I don't see any cyanobacteria in the shot. The branching organism might be algae. It's hard to tell with such shots. If it is, I might look into reducing feeding or improving nutrient export. Improving skimming or adding GFO to the system are two common approaches. What's in the setup now?