PDA

View Full Version : New reef setup: will this do without problems?

cacopepo
12/10/2012, 04:52 PM
ive been buying stuff for the past 3 months or so to build a reef tank..just want to know if what i have, and the equipment brand i have will be good enough to start. So heres the list:
1. 46 gallon bowfront
2. cpr Bak-Pak 2R+ HOB protein skimmer
3. cpr HOB refugium (small)
4. marineland canister filter c220
5. 100 watt heater (unknown brand)
6. hydor koralia 750gph
7.Maristar Metal halide 2x250 + 2x39 ati super actinic
8. 30 lbs of aragonite sand
9. 35 lbs of base rock
10. 20 to 35 lbs of live fiji rock

I know the halides are a bit extreme, but i just couldnt pass the opportunity on the price, brand new never been used $240. I will have them 12 inches above the tank if it starts heating the tank maybe a clip on fan With the refugium i would like chateo to keep amonia and nitrates down and to grow copepods( i really want a mandarin) if size is an issue i will upgrade to a large one..lights will be opposite of tank..having them on at night. The canister is just there to clear the water from debri or anything else, might only have it on a few days a week...once my cycle is done, start adding corals, and hopefully within a year want to add these fish: black and orange oscellaris clowns,mandarin goby, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma and a flame angel (i know they nips at corals and the minority dont if you keep them well fed, but its a chance im willing to take)

any advice, opinions, or 2 cents are very appreciated thanks :wave:

cacopepo
12/10/2012, 07:14 PM
anyone??????????

ReachTheSky
12/10/2012, 07:23 PM
So far so good. There are a few pieces of advice I'd like to give though:

1 - No name brand heater? I wouldn't trust that. I've heard far too many stories of thermostats getting stuck and people walking home to 95 degree tanks with lots of dead animals.

2 - You will need more than just that one Koralia for flow. I would recommend a second placed adjacently.

3 - The canister filter will be alright but you have to be on top of cleaning it. When they get dirty, they turn into nitrate factories. Why not use a filter sock instead for catching debris?

4 - Don't underestimate the heat metal halides put out. Fans are sometimes not adequate. This is especially true if you mount them in a canopy. Be prepared to buy a chiller.

cacopepo
12/11/2012, 10:29 AM
Ok ill get a namebrand heater, im trying to build a reef tank not a jacuzzi :/ as for the koralia..wont it be to much flow if i add another 750gph, and no canopy here, just open top..i would hate to geet a chiller, i just dont have the money or space for it...

sirreal63
12/11/2012, 10:37 AM
With the open top I doubt you will need a chiller, a fan is usually more than enough. Flow is vitally important in a reef tank, don't skimp in this area.

EllieSuz
12/11/2012, 10:51 AM
Most of us much prefer a sump, even a small one, to stuff hanging on the back. Have you considered a sump?

cacopepo
12/11/2012, 11:31 AM
Ok i guess i can get another koralia..and sump/refugium was my first idea until i took measurements and found out that i had no space what so ever under my tank, the only thing i can fit there was a 5 gallon bucket with no more space available, and i really dont like the idea of running a sump side by side with the tank :(

toofrigginswt
12/11/2012, 11:41 AM
Everything looks good. However, if it was me, I'd ditch the base rock. But that's just me. I like my tanks with less rock for a more minimalistic look. It gives more room for my fish to swim and my corals to grow. I'm assuming you're going to put SPS in it since you have a light bright enough to kill vampires :)

Also, maybe you can gut out the canister filter and run it like a carbon reactor. You really dont need the canister filter if you have live rock in your tank.

But I agree with EllieSuz on a sump. I had a 46 bowfront before and the stand had room for a 20 gallon sump. All you need to do is buy a HOB overflow. You can hide your heater and skimmer down in the stand. It also gives you more water volume.

toofrigginswt
12/11/2012, 11:43 AM
Okay scratch the sump idea then :) It looks like you may have a different stand than my old 46 bowfront.

cacopepo
12/11/2012, 11:58 AM
Hopefully i can kill the ones from twilight lol yeah my stand is different, a small compartment with a glass door and a bunch of shelfs around it...

EllieSuz
12/11/2012, 01:05 PM
Personally, I'd use a five gallon bucket for a sump before I'd go without one. My first tank was "sumpless" and it was a pain to add one after-the-fact.

cacopepo
12/11/2012, 02:57 PM
i actually talk to my lfs today and they say that with the rock, skimmer, and fuge i didnt need any other filter...and i wouldnt have any idea how make a bucket sump, im not to much of a diy guy.

Breadman03
12/11/2012, 03:10 PM
Take some pictures with measurements of stand height, depth, and width. Someone is sure to have a fairly simple solution for a sump. I'll check back later and see if I can actually come up with some ideas, as I don't have much experience.

cacopepo
12/11/2012, 03:29 PM
cool thanks, got the measurement : 13 3/4 wide ....12 from back wall....27 3/8 tall

cap032
12/11/2012, 08:30 PM
Caution with a Mandarin. You either need a very mature tank with lots of pods or a mandarin that you know for sure will eat prepared foods. Otherwise, it will quickly starve.

Catawaba
12/11/2012, 10:26 PM
Caution with a Mandarin. You either need a very mature tank with lots of pods or a mandarin that you know for sure will eat prepared foods. Otherwise, it will quickly starve.

Wholeheartedly agree. Please wait wait wait on a mandarin

Breadman03
12/11/2012, 10:31 PM
That is a tight squeeze. You would be looking at about 7 gallons of capacity if you could find something to fit.

moondoggy4
12/11/2012, 10:34 PM
Can you build a sump It is not that difficult, that way you can put in a sump and I would put in a small external skimmer like a Octopus brand. Check out the DIY stand thread many different ideas there. You also wants a reactor to put in GFO so you do not get any algae.

cacopepo
12/12/2012, 01:55 PM
no mandarin anytime soon, hopefully in a year, but its hard to fit anything in there, i tried putting s 5 gallon fish tank and it was still to BIG...i dont think a sump would be any difference in size...

Breadman03
12/13/2012, 04:23 AM
With that size constraint, I would either get/build a new stand with more space or run the canister knowing that it will need more maintenance.

You can buy fancy sumps, but many people make their own using an aquarium and some glass panels to create separate chambers.

cacopepo
12/13/2012, 10:23 AM
Believe me, already thought of that but the glass from lowes and home depot is not very sturdy, very thin and glass shops over here want a ridiculous $25 per panel, so if u want to create baffels..it will be over $100 for glass, and i know pexiglass doesnt bond with glass