PDA

View Full Version : Filter Housing as Media Reactor (Flow)

UWUALineman
12/10/2012, 07:17 PM
I have an RO/DI filter canister which was sold as a Media Reactor. It works for the most part. However, I have an issue with flow through the GFO in which there is one spot where flow is more concentrated tumbling the granules way more than other parts. The other parts of the cartridge are agitating a bit but not near like the spot with higher flow. I am using the white donut shaped sponge for the bottom. Do you feel that the rest of the GFO is being utilized or just sitting there being wasted? Is there a way to overcome this? No need to worry?

UWUALineman
12/10/2012, 08:54 PM
Mods, can this please be moved to the Equipment forums.

MarineSniper
12/10/2012, 11:10 PM
Could you possibly put a screen, like the ones Geo sells to use his reactors for pellets, under the sponge. I don't know if that might disperse the water more evenly but may be worth a shot. I used to get clumps in my Geo reactor and noticed that the flow was even when first coming on. I put a cheap timer on that pump so it shuts off for one minute twice a day and that eliminated the problem. I'd unplug the pump, let it sit for a moment and see if it flows evenly. If so, the timer may be a cheap fix for you. My clumps/zones, always developed over a few days, not when freshly changed

dc
12/11/2012, 07:41 AM
[moved]...

UWUALineman
12/12/2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks DC.

I will try shutting it down for a few. If I go with a screen it would have to be super fine due to the size of the GFO granules, and I am unsure if the MJ1200 would push enough water to tumble the whole cartridge.