PDA

View Full Version : My first ever water test results...

meegwell
12/10/2012, 08:30 PM
I've had dry fiji rock and sand inthe tank for a week. My live rock is standing by ready to go in. I wanted to do some basic water tests to begin the recording process. I assume i will be chucking in a dead shrimp to start the cycle soon.

Im using a cheap marineland testing kit save for the specific gravity im using a refractometer. I know, i know...on the test kits...ill get something better down the road.

Ph 7.8
Amonia .3
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 0
Alk 5.6 (KH)
Salinity 1.025

Is within a reasonably sized ballpark of where I should be at this point? D these numbers make since considering there is really nothing in my tank but some base rock and sand for about a week.

chrisfont23
12/10/2012, 08:45 PM
Alkalinity is low. Aim for 8-12. U are also missing a few parameters - Calcium and Phosphate to name a few.

meegwell
12/10/2012, 08:49 PM
Alkalinity is low. Aim for 8-12. U are also missing a few parameters - Calcium and Phosphate to name a few.

Yeah well I'm missing a couple other things as well...and they're in your avatar!

Do i need to check them while going through my cycle with no fish/coral?

Jpruitt546
12/10/2012, 10:39 PM
I would keep and eye on phosphates to make sure you don't have a huge diatom algae bloom. +1 on the avatar pic lol.

Spyderturbo007
12/11/2012, 08:41 AM
There isn't really any reason to test for Calcium at this point. Phosphate might be a good idea just to see where you stand.