PDA

View Full Version : GHL Mitras, Ecotech Radion, and the AI Vega

trueblackpercula
12/10/2012, 10:56 PM
Ok I am almost ready to take the leap and get lED lighting well almost still up in the air with it. I would love for the reef keepers here post pictures of the above LED fixtures of there tanks. I am currently using old school lighting that works very well for me but from what I am told I can achieve better growth and color from led lighting. So please rate your light fixture if you have any of the three listed iGHL Mitras, Ecotech Radion, and the AI Vega.....please post your experience and which do you think I should buy,
My tank is 30 x 30 x 31 deep and it will be dominate sps and want to keep a clam on the sand bed. Current lighting is 150 watts VHO 03super actincs and a 400 watt aquaconnect on an icecap electronic ballast.
Many thanks for all your assistance.

trueblackpercula
12/11/2012, 07:17 PM
Anyone?

reeferlover
12/11/2012, 07:48 PM
i have seen the ai and radion in action. i really like the AI my fav and if i do get led it will be those and they are cheap too well for led anyway. i would just stick with t5 for now

chadfarmer
12/11/2012, 09:38 PM
well 3000 down im back to t5

twiddle
12/11/2012, 09:39 PM
Your tank is deep.
I have done a lot of research so this is my opinion...especially for an SPS dominated tank with clam
Because your tank is deep the Radion Pro ($950) or the Mitras $1100, also Pacific Sun Triton $1000.
The AI Vega won't penetrate that deep and I am not sure if a Radion 2nd gen will either.

DaveG99
12/11/2012, 09:45 PM
You left out one of the best fixtures. Maxspect razor r420r.
On a 32"x24" tank
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/daveg99/20121201_123226.jpg

twiddle
12/11/2012, 09:57 PM
Sorry I left the Maxspect out . I did not research those because I would need four Maxspects for my tank instead of 3 vegas or Radions and possibly get by with 2 of the Mitras or Tritons.

The Maxspect coverage (according to manufacturer) is not even close to the others I mentioned.

DaveG99
12/11/2012, 10:33 PM
Sorry I left the Maxspect out . I did not research those because I would need four Maxspects for my tank instead of 3 vegas or Radions and possibly get by with 2 of the Mitras or Tritons.

The Maxspect coverage (according to manufacturer) is not even close to the others I mentioned.

Are you kidding? The maxspect razor blows away the radion and AI on coverage. You would have more than enough of light with two razor 160watt fixtures. And its the best looking fixture IMO. Plus it has simple yet functional program-ability without the BS. And its a full spectrum light that can be adjusted to your taste in colors. Its the most bang for your buck fixture available. I suggest you do a little more research because whatever you are reading isnt correct. There are a coupe threads on here you can look at.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/a-81501-RazorPAR.gif

rtparty
12/11/2012, 11:25 PM
Dominant sps? I wouldn't touch LEDs. I've had mine for 18 months and enjoyed them but not for a full blown sps tank.

nanoreefer1000
12/11/2012, 11:53 PM
I disagree, IMO the reason SPS usually don't do well under LED's because the most popular options are usually terrible. Go with either the Mitras, Hyperion, Razor, Or a customized rb
controllable fixture

reeferlover
12/12/2012, 01:03 AM
t5 for now leds need time

jefstathiou
12/12/2012, 01:39 AM
I upgraded from the AI to Triton and still can't believe the difference in my livestock. It takes awhile to get the hang of the Triton software, but I would rather deal with that instead of the AI controller which made me crazy.
I also recently had the opportunity to demo the Mitras over my tank. Another great light which interested me because I own a Profilux. I was really impressed with the Mitras as well.
My vote is Triton, or Mitras.

reefSTC
12/12/2012, 02:09 AM
that maxspect looks pretty sexy.....

rodneyri
12/12/2012, 02:25 AM
I cant comment from my own experience on the other lights mentioned, though ive had two friends come over and sell their Radion and PS Hyperion to get the Mitras after seeing my tank.

Im an early adopter of this light, about 3 months in...almost...and im happy with them still.

twiddle
12/12/2012, 09:01 AM
I stand corrected..I was referring to the Maxspect Mazarra for coverage. I spoke to manufacturer and they said I needed 4 unites for my 6'x2'x2' tank where the other were 3 and possibly 2.

ghostman
12/12/2012, 10:51 AM
Agree with much of the above. Since your tank is deep you need a powerful light. I've tried sols and radions and finally went back to T5s. The sols had the punch and light, but the color was off for my liking. I should have burned $4000 rather than deal with radions. While I'm trying the hyperions right now, my opinion is that there is no better lighting than MH with T5 supplements.

kalgra
12/12/2012, 01:01 PM
For $650 the G2 Radion with the TIR lens IMO is far and away the best value. excellent spread and higher PAR than other units. The Radions will have no issues getting sufficient PAR at 30". From What I have seen nor the Vegas or the Mitra will have the penetration the Radion achieves with the TIR lenses. Three G2 Radions is the way I would go hands down.

trueblackpercula
12/12/2012, 01:15 PM
Three G2 Radions is the way I would go hands down.

Are you saying I need 3 fixture for my tank?

trueblackpercula
12/12/2012, 01:28 PM
my opinion is that there is no better lighting than MH with T5 supplements.
I am starting to think I already .....I have t12 should I change them over to T5?

kalgra
12/12/2012, 02:00 PM
Are you saying I need 3 fixture for my tank?

Oh sorry no! Typo. I personally would do 2 over a 30x30 sps dominated.

Sorry about that.

Eastamherstbias
12/12/2012, 03:45 PM
I have seen All three lights. One Vega does not equal a Radion in my opinion. I have a mixed reef with a high amount of SPS in the upper third of my 4x2x2 120g and Anemones scattered in the lower part. Good growth of my birdsnest, Monti Caps, Montipora & Millepora. I am happy with the TIR lens.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7960753922_b016643555_c.jpg

trueblackpercula
12/12/2012, 05:16 PM
I have seen All three lights. One Vega does not equal a Radion in my opinion. I have a mixed reef with a high amount of SPS in the upper third of my 4x2x2 120g and Anemones scattered in the lower part. Good growth of my birdsnest, Monti Caps, Montipora & Millepora. I am happy with the TIR lens.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7960753922_b016643555_c.jpg
Thank you for your time and efforts, did you do the PAR readings? I would really like to see it done with 400 watt bulb as that's what I have. Here is a picture of my tank right now I know it's not much to look at but the storm destroyed everything so I am in the process of rebuilding. This picture was taken with my Ipad and its a 400watt aquaconnect and 150watt VHO all on,

Eastamherstbias
12/12/2012, 05:26 PM
Thank you for your time and efforts, did you do the PAR readings? I would really like to see it done with 400 watt bulb as trebuilding. This picture was taken with my Ipad and its a 400watt aquaconnect and 150watt VHO all on,
Yes, I did all three par readings and that is my tank. One radion gen 1 equal 1 250 watt MH. I never had 400w mH.

nanoreefer1000
12/12/2012, 05:35 PM
For $650 the G2 Radion with the TIR lens IMO is far and away the best value. excellent spread and higher PAR than other units. The Radions will have no issues getting sufficient PAR at 30". From What I have seen nor the Vegas or the Mitra will have the penetration the Radion achieves with the TIR lenses. Three G2 Radions is the way I would go hands down. CW (unless sup. w/ NW or WW) and Green are basically useless.
Razor, DIY, Hyperion, Mitras, and a customized RB controllable fixture are probably the best options.

trueblackpercula
12/12/2012, 05:41 PM
Yes, I did all three par readings and that is my tank. One radion gen 1 equal 1 250 watt MH. I never had 400w mH.

Thank you I really like your fixture and the price is not that bad for it. Can you possibly turn up the fixture to 100% and post a picture so I can see what it looks like?
Thanks my friend you are saving me lots of looking around.

I can't believe no one has posted pictures of the other two fixtures yet.

trueblackpercula
12/14/2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone have pictures of the other fixtures?

tkeracer619
12/14/2012, 02:01 PM
I am a fan of GHL but i'm not really sold on their lights. I see some stuff that scares me with the construction. The Radion, AI, and the Maxspect all seem to be much better.

Personally I am trying to get my hands on some gen1 radions now that some people are swapping over. With the expected life these fixtures have It could be similar to a slightly used car. I will let someone else drive off the lot and take the initial hit. The price drop also effected used prices so now it might be more affordable for me to make the switch.

Canadaguy
12/14/2012, 02:02 PM
Just seen the Mitras and the Radion Pro side by side and the Radion Pro will definitely be my upgrade choice and its a lot cheaper fixture than the Mitras. Both at full power the Radion was by far the nicer looking fixture IMO and from what I have seen and read the Mitras is way way way overpriced. In a test the Mitras had a PAR value of 100umols vs Radion Pro's PAR value of ~160umols on the same spot for the Mitras.

rodneyri
12/14/2012, 02:59 PM
Just seen the Mitras and the Radion Pro side by side and the Radion Pro will definitely be my upgrade choice and its a lot cheaper fixture than the Mitras. Both at full power the Radion was by far the nicer looking fixture IMO and from what I have seen and read the Mitras is way way way overpriced. In a test the Mitras had a PAR value of 100umols vs Radion Pro's PAR value of ~160umols on the same spot for the Mitras.

I saw that too, not sure why they have all the reds up so high on the Mitras, definitely not needed...if I were GHL i would drop the number of reds and add some more violet / blue maybe. I run my reds at about 35% in the Mitras and the color is very nice.

Id like to get my hands on a PRO to test out, and to do a true comparison put the optional lenses on the Mitras and measure PAR.

The coverage on the PRO would be much less than a Mitras also.

Definitely the PRO is a light worth looking at though.

TheReefKeeper
12/14/2012, 03:32 PM
Just seen the Mitras and the Radion Pro side by side

I saw that too

Where?

Never mind found it yea wow talk about Red wonder what the thinking behind that was?

trueblackpercula
12/14/2012, 04:02 PM
Can you post a link?

chadfarmer
12/14/2012, 04:03 PM
U never run an led fixture at 100% , what a silly comparison

rodneyri
12/14/2012, 04:10 PM
I think the idea was to cover the top end spectrum, it has 2 reds and an amber. and its only one of each for the pucks but makes a huge difference. gives more flexibility to the user with such a broad range.

U never run an led fixture at 100% , what a silly comparison
totally agree, tone down the reds in the Mitras and guess what it will look like the PRO.

jhaimes
12/14/2012, 09:08 PM
Hey guys I am in the process of putting together the materials for my new build. 210 mixed reef and was curious about the LED choices as well. I see most of the talk here has been about the Mitras and the Radion Pro. Is the Razor in the same category as these 2 and how many fixtures do all of you reccomend for my 72"L24"W29"H tank? I want to spend the money early and get it right so I dont make the mistake,(again) of buying cheap and suffering...Any advice would be awesome...

vulteiv1
12/15/2012, 11:42 AM
My tank is 30x30x24, and I'm switching from one kessil a350 to two radion g2. I was debating between the radions and the maxspect razors, but in the end I went with the radions. I went with the radions because of the upgrade options. If I'm not happen with the colors, I still have the option to upgrade to the pro.

trueblackpercula
12/15/2012, 11:55 AM
Great please a picture would really like to what it can do.

vulteiv1
12/15/2012, 11:58 AM
I will post picture once it's set up. It won't be here till Monday, but I won't have time till maybe after Christmas.

trueblackpercula
12/20/2012, 07:13 PM
I will post picture once it's set up. It won't be here till Monday, but I won't have time till maybe after Christmas.

Did you set up your light?

Myka
12/21/2012, 09:47 PM
Not much talk about the Vega...why not?

trueblackpercula
12/30/2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone have any updated pictures they want to share ? Right now I am considering w
Either the new AI or the radion Pro. Anyone want to post anything on these two fixtures?
Thanks

Eastamherstbias
12/30/2012, 03:55 PM
Anyone have any updated pictures they want to share ? Right now I am considering w
Either the new AI or the radion Pro. Anyone want to post anything on these two fixtures?
Thanks

Radion Gen 2 & AI Vega are on a similar tier

Radion Pro is the next class and should be out to the masses in a few weeks.

drdoolittle
03/06/2013, 04:01 PM
any update on what you ended up buying?

DarthSimon
03/06/2013, 07:10 PM
I'm running 3 Radion Gen 2's on my 220 Mixed Reef 30 Inches deep. My corals are exploding in my tank. Opening daily, look healthy, and no problems close to the sand bed.... 30 Inches Down...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/y8atesyt.jpg

reefkeeper2
03/06/2013, 08:08 PM
My tank is also 30" deep so I did a side by side comparison using my Sols and a Vega. Because of the sand, the total depth from the water surface was 27inches. The Sols are 11 inches from the surface. I placed the Vega at 5 inches. I did not record the measurements. I put the meter below a Sol, looked at the reading and then put a Vega in it's place. I switched back and forth at different depths and at different locations. Par measurements were higher for the Vega everywhere except at the lowest levels near the sandbed.There they were almost the same with the Sols having an advantage in the areas where the 40 degree optics where concentrated. The Vegas had a better spread of higher par though, so areas where I have my clams will actually get more light than they do now. My gigantea anemone that is midway in depth will get a nice boost in light. At the surface Par is at least 200-300 higher (over 1000) and spread is better. I may have an acclimation problem with the sps in the upper portions of the tank when I make the switch.
I also wanted to see what the difference in appearance would look like and I was very pleased. I expected the Sols to look brighter but I think the 80 degree optics of the Vegas gives a brighter look in a wider area. My pink skunk clowns were very pink. The purple acros were much more purple. For me upgrading the Sols to the Vegas would be a definate plus so I'm going ahead at the end of the month.

hypnoj
03/06/2013, 08:26 PM
following.

eg8r210
03/06/2013, 08:55 PM
Just seen the Mitras and the Radion Pro side by side and the Radion Pro will definitely be my upgrade choice and its a lot cheaper fixture than the Mitras. Both at full power the Radion was by far the nicer looking fixture IMO and from what I have seen and read the Mitras is way way way overpriced. In a test the Mitras had a PAR value of 100umols vs Radion Pro's PAR value of ~160umols on the same spot for the Mitras.How much time did you spend with each units adjusting the light intensities for each bulb type?

eg8r210
03/06/2013, 08:58 PM
I'm running 3 Radion Gen 2's on my 220 Mixed Reef 30 Inches deep. My corals are exploding in my tank. Opening daily, look healthy, and no problems close to the sand bed.... 30 Inches Down...
Can you quantify "exploding"? What lighting did you have before?

trueblackpercula
03/06/2013, 09:29 PM
I picked up a radion G1 and installed the new TIR lens and I simply love it? The light covers the entire tank even on the sand bed. My tank is 30 x 30 x31 deep no problems at all.

hypnoj
03/06/2013, 10:12 PM
I picked up a radion G1 and installed the new TIR lens and I simply love it? The light covers the entire tank even on the sand bed. My tank is 30 x 30 x31 deep no problems at all.

you're able to get full coverage of your tank with only the one fixture?

Eastamherstbias
03/06/2013, 10:16 PM
I did a par graph for the gen 1's and pros. I am getting a gen 2 tomorrow so I will par that out as well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8099/8485851271_f67dd2aca8_c.jpg

trueblackpercula
03/07/2013, 05:40 AM
I have the G1 with TIR lens and love it, I am curious to know what the difference is between the G1 and the G2. Thanks for all you dedication in providing everyone with the numbers.

DarthSimon
03/07/2013, 06:19 AM
EchoTech claims the Gen1 with TIR lense is a Gen2...

trueblackpercula
03/07/2013, 06:41 AM
you're able to get full coverage of your tank with only the one fixture?

Yes it's more then enough, I am still playing with the software and need to better understand it.
Thanks echotech

jdraider75
03/07/2013, 08:13 AM
I think the G2 also has the upgraded fan and the newer cree leds.

trueblackpercula
03/07/2013, 08:19 AM
I think the G2 also has the upgraded fan and the newer cree leds.

Is there an upgrade kit for that?

rtparty
03/07/2013, 08:28 AM
EchoTech claims the Gen1 with TIR lense is a Gen2...

The gen 2 has upgraded LEDs as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

trueblackpercula
03/07/2013, 09:06 AM
The gen 2 has upgraded LEDs as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Well I guess I have the older technology Lol and still loving it. Maybe next year I will send mine in for the upgraded one. But for right now this fixture is more them I think I will ever need I mean think about it all I am missing is the UV part that's comes with the Pro. How important is that anyways?

rtparty
03/07/2013, 09:42 AM
Well I guess I have the older technology Lol and still loving it. Maybe next year I will send mine in for the upgraded one. But for right now this fixture is more them I think I will ever need I mean think about it all I am missing is the UV part that's comes with the Pro. How important is that anyways?

In my experience, very important. When I ran LEDs, things suffered until I added some violet LEDs to the mix.

At the end of the day though, LEDs never lived up to their hype for me. Now they just collect dust in my closet.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

eg8r210
03/07/2013, 10:11 AM
Well I guess I have the older technology Lol and still loving it. Maybe next year I will send mine in for the upgraded one. This really is the trap that keeps the LED mfg's laughing all the way to the bank. The big selling point is that some time in the future you will get your initial investment back through savings in energy use. However, that would not be a good business plan to sell a consumer one unit and expect them to actually use it for the proclaimed 50,000 hours of use. The mfg's know that very few people will ever recoup their investment because we all want to take advantage of the new updates. :)

trueblackpercula
03/07/2013, 01:59 PM
This really is the trap that keeps the LED mfg's laughing all the way to the bank. The big selling point is that some time in the future you will get your initial investment back through savings in energy use. However, that would not be a good business plan to sell a consumer one unit and expect them to actually use it for the proclaimed 50,000 hours of use. The mfg's know that very few people will ever recoup their investment because we all want to take advantage of the new updates. :)

The cost savings for me was import but not as important as the flexibility that the software offers. I agree that we are all addicted to the bells and whistle that come out every other week. But for right now switching from vho and halides its not a big difference, in fact I am getting better colors and a lot less heat then ever before. Yes they have there pros and cons but for me I needed to experience LEDs and not just read about them. If I would do it again I would have gone with the Pro only because it has more and for most of us it's all about feeding the addiction.

rodneyri
03/07/2013, 02:36 PM
I tested a friends gen1 radioes at six month intervals, measured the light spectrum and noticed a 10% drop across the spectrum. He wasn't happy but with this info his lights were replaced with new ones so will be testing again shortly to see if they drop at the same rate

eg8r210
03/08/2013, 09:55 AM
The cost savings for me was import but not as important as the flexibility that the software offers. I agree that we are all addicted to the bells and whistle that come out every other week. But for right now switching from vho and halides its not a big difference, in fact I am getting better colors and a lot less heat then ever before. If you can, take some pictures of your coral now with the better colors. Then do the same thing 6 months from now and see if everything still looks as good. A couple people in my local club said the same things when they first got their LED but now after some time has passed they feel the coloration is "off" but can't quite but their finger on what it is. The one guy thinks he lost certain colors in his coral that was there under the t5's. They are using the cheap black boxes and your LED system is much more advanced so I am interested to hear about your experience.