PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for Target Feeding Corals

Spyderturbo007
12/11/2012, 07:05 AM
Does anyone have a good ideas for something I can buy or make to target feed my corals?

I currently feed my one SPS and my Zoanthids with the BRS Reef Chili. I've tried attaching airline tubing to the end of their feeding bottle with no luck.

I try and target feed my Hammer Coral some mysis shrimp and use a plastic eye dropper I grabbed from the lab. The problem is that it requires me to shove my hand in the tank.

I was looking for something easy to use where I don't have to put my hands in the tank or deal with moving my lights.

Any suggestions?

Yellow Rocket
12/11/2012, 07:11 AM
This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_Julian%60s_Thing_Coral_Feeding_Tool_Coral_Feeders-Two_Little_Fishies-TL50721-FIFDFECR-vi.html

kissman
12/11/2012, 07:14 AM
I use this Coral Feeder (http://www.marinedepot.com/Taam_Rio_Coral_Feeder_Deluxe_Set_(4pcs)_Coral_Feeders-TAAM_Via_Aqua-TA01023-FIFDFECR-vi.html) I also have a coke bottle I cut the bottom out of and place it over the coral and squirt the food in the top where the cap would be to keep the food around the coral and keep the fish off

Spyderturbo007
12/11/2012, 07:37 AM
Awesome. I've never ordered from Marine Depot, but I'm assuming they are a reputable vendor? I just like some confirmation before I start throwing around my debit card number. :)

EDIT -> Is that tip large enough for something like Mysis Shrimp? I was looking at the TLF Coral Feeder.

EllieSuz
12/11/2012, 07:39 AM
Here's what I use and it works just great, plus it's very cheap:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/EllieSuz/Home%20Aquarium/2011-01-28131521-1.jpg

This is a syringe like you use to medicate infants. They are available at all drug stores. You attach it to a length (any length of your choosing) of rigid airline tubing with a little piece of flexible airline tube. I put another piece of soft tube on the other end to soften it for feeding individual polyps of my Sun Coral. You just thaw the food in a little cup and draw it up into the syringe. My Mandarin hurries over to a back corner the minute he sees it and slurps up ova and brine shrimp. NOTE: This will get pretty stinky after use, so I flush it out with a little vinegar now and then.

thegrun
12/11/2012, 08:03 AM
I use a turkey with an added 6" length of clear vinyl tubing.

TheKman
12/11/2012, 08:32 AM
Awesome. I've never ordered from Marine Depot, but I'm assuming they are a reputable vendor? I just like some confirmation before I start throwing around my debit card number. :)

EDIT -> Is that tip large enough for something like Mysis Shrimp? I was looking at the TLF Coral Feeder.

I've ordered stuff from Marine Depot, good company with pretty fast shipping. If you want to look local, you can find something like a 30cc Syringe *no needle* I would want to think outside the box before spending money.

ACBlinky
12/11/2012, 08:38 AM
I bought a 'Sea Squirt' and it works very well, though occasionally larger mysis shrimp do get stuck in the small tip. the DIY syringe feeder mentioned above will work well too. Long tongs, chopsticks, shishkabob skewers etc. are great for feeding chunks of food to anemones and big fish.

kissman
12/11/2012, 08:38 AM
I have ordered from MD many many times the are awesome to deal with. I use BRS, MD, and Aquacave oh and Drs Foster and Smith they are all great to deal witj

Spyderturbo007
12/11/2012, 08:43 AM
I was thinking the syringe route as EllieSuz posted, but I was thinking that airline tubing attached to the end might be too small in diameter for something like mysis shrimp.

Reeferz412
12/11/2012, 01:27 PM
I use a turkey baster to feed brine and mysis. Cost me a buck at the dollar store lol. This baster is sensitive so I can control the speed the food shoots out so I can stick the mouth of the baster into my lps without hydro blasting it.

EllieSuz
12/11/2012, 01:55 PM
I feed Mysis with my feeder tube without any problem. Also, one advantage to this feeder is the length allows me to feed without putting my hands in the tank twice a day. I also like the idea of attaching some kind of extension to a turkey baster, but I wonder if the syringe wouldn't give us more control of the amount administered.

Crusinjimbo
12/12/2012, 06:30 AM
Home Depot and Lowes sell a clear plastic 48" sleeve that fits over the fluorescent tube for less than $4. Cut to length needed to focus feed via gravity about anything. Easy clean and storage.

Ngoodermuth
12/12/2012, 11:03 AM
Just a comment regarding the commercial feeders... I have an extendable Sea Squirt feeder that was given to me by the person who owned the tank before me. Works great except the hole in the tip was a little too small and clogged easily. My SO made it slightly larger little using a small drill bit and now it works like a charm!

S2minute
12/14/2012, 08:08 PM
ok so...you want to feed your fish and corals in one feeding so you don't have to turn all the pumps on/off 2-3 times a day RIGHT lol. So i'm trying to make a few new coral arrivals happy via target feeding and dominant fish 1,2 and 3 are not playing nice.....at all. In fact they are ****ing me off big time. Any thoughts?