PDA

View Full Version : Zoa help needed, not opening

nogascans
12/11/2012, 10:38 AM
My wife bought a small zoanthid colony (? type) at a local LFS a few weeks ago, because, as she says it, gals like zoas and LPS, guys like SPS.

In any case, on this colony I have only ever seen the two shown in picture opened. I have tried at week intervals changing location (middle, bottom currently) to no avail.

I also have another colony that date back to beginning of tank that continue to proper without issues that are located on tank bottom.

i have tried so far dipping them in an iodine reef dip with SW per instructions for 15 minutes (once).

looking for some advice...

Tank paramters as follow:

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
No3 .16 ppm (red sea)
N04 0
Ammonia 0
P04 .04 ppm (red sea)
Alk 8-9
Cal 440
Mag 1350

70 gal bowfront mixed reef with Super Reef Cotopus HOB skimmer, 2 Evo 1050 PHeads, BRS Bio-pellet reactor. GFO in bag, Carbon in bag. (awating BRS reactor)

Sincerely,

David

reef_of_flames
12/14/2012, 11:39 PM
From the ones that are open, those are called "Magician" zoos. However, name doesn't really matter.

First of all, what did they look like at the store? I know your wife bought them, but ask her.

I would place it in a low flow and low light area.

kevin32
12/15/2012, 12:09 AM
They do looks like magician. Try checking for pest?

nogascans
12/15/2012, 07:59 PM
Guys, thanks for response. Since I have done the dip they have not opened up and actually now they look pretty bad. I can move them to a dark overhang.

If they are dead or dying, will this cause much of a spike in water? Do I need to worry, or just throw them out. The other colony bought pre-these look normal.

On question of what they looked like at purchase, and after getting the stink eye for asking on condition, it appears that they were about the same an guy at LFS said that was because he had irritated them....

Rest of tank inhabitants doing fine, so this appears to be based to this colony.
Sincerely,

David

kevin32
12/15/2012, 10:55 PM
Try putting in low light for now. Since new corals take time to adjust. Make sure flow is not blasting them, which might irritates them.

Mod. to low flow should be sufficient.

Keep us posted.

irrayoli
12/17/2012, 01:50 AM
try to get them to a tupperware with aquarium water and throw him a few drops of Seachem reef dip if you do not throw him iodine (a dash) and leave it submerged for about 10 minutes and then put it again in the aquarium and if you can what If you change your site by a worm or something else that stresses you.

Hope that helps ...

gordonj1
12/17/2012, 02:02 PM
just let them be. I had some devil's armor that wouldn't open, and i had to let them sit for almost 2 weeks undisturbed, but they are coming around.