PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this fish

jlschweda1971
12/11/2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Images/CategoryImages/FeaturePhoto/c-fish-hydrometers.jpg

Rapide
12/11/2012, 02:48 PM
Amblyeleotris guttata after heavy photoshop. Or Cryptocentrus leptocephalus...

jlschweda1971
12/11/2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks so much! I saw a pic from DrsFosterandSmith.com and thought it was a cute fish but couldnt find it myself

o2manyfish
12/12/2012, 12:11 AM
Sometimes called a Pink Spotted Watchman Goby.

Dave B

Rapide
12/12/2012, 10:33 PM
You can call it Bubbles if you want to, but it's still Cryptocentrus leptocephalus.

o2manyfish
12/13/2012, 12:46 PM
Well if you go into a local fish store and ask for 'Bubbles' I doubt you'll get the fish you are looking for.

The fish stores in my area don't use latin names for fish.

And last month I bought one of these from Quality Marine, one of the largest wholesalers in the US. And on the invoice they referred to it as a Pink Spotted Watchman.

So having the common name can sometimes be more valuable than citing latin.

Rapide
12/13/2012, 04:30 PM
I didn't mean it like that, sorry...
Latin names leave no room for an error, so I prefer using them. The point is, that not everyone uses the same common names.

Actually - I'm not sure if you know this - only American hobbyists use more common names than latin names. I have often wondered why is this... Latin names make things so much easier IMO. Or maybe it's just me a as an ichthyologist speaking...

sponger0
12/13/2012, 04:39 PM
I didn't mean it like that, sorry...
Latin names leave no room for an error, so I prefer using them. The point is, that not everyone uses the same common names.

Actually - I'm not sure if you know this - only American hobbyists use more common names than latin names. I have often wondered why is this... Latin names make things so much easier IMO. Or maybe it's just me a as an ichthyologist speaking...

Lol...thats an easy answer....we are lazy hahahaha.

But yes alot of fish have multiple common names. Ive learned this after owning a c. cyanopleura. But it would be easier to identify fish with their species/genus name when going into a fish store.

woodnaquanut
12/13/2012, 04:53 PM
Lol...thats an easy answer....we are lazy hahahaha.

And we have almost no language skills. Learning multiple languages when young makes it so much easier to deal with latin-ized scientific names. Oh, and we are lazy too! :lol2:

sponger0
12/13/2012, 05:06 PM
And we have almost no language skills. Learning multiple languages when young makes it so much easier to deal with latin-ized scientific names. Oh, and we are lazy too! :lol2:

Hahaha.....and youre lucky if we spell whole words out...let alone spell them right lmao

Rapide
12/13/2012, 05:21 PM
Here we start to study english when in the 3rd grade at school, swedish at 7th (sometimes earlier) and optional 3rd and more languages also at the 7th grade. The swedish speaking children have to start to study finnish at the 3rd grade (we have two languages here).
I chose german and french at school, and now I'm hoping I would have chosen also italian. My parents took me to a english language kindergarten when I was maybe 4 or 5...