PDA

View Full Version : Has your HOB skimmer leaked/overflowed?

E.intheC
12/11/2012, 10:02 PM
I'm probably letting my OCD shine through a bit, but has anyone had issues with seams or pumps leaking, cups overflowing, etc with their HOB skimmers?

Right now I'm looking at the JNS/Aquamaxx HOB skimmers, but I'd rather not have a skimmer that hangs off the back for those reasons. (I've never experienced any of the issues above, though).

There are a few skimmers that have a drain fitting on their collection cup, so that would be a good safety measure for a cup overflowing.

johnc99
12/12/2012, 12:22 AM
I have a reef octopus BH-2000 and I've only had it overflow once and it was basically my own fault.

During the summer we had our house remodeled and managed to get through the entire remodel with no problems until it was time to paint. The paint fumes caused the skimmer cup to fill up and, because I had covered the overflow hole with the cup, it ran over. The only place it had to go was on to the floor. IIRC I lost a couple of gallons until the water level went below the intake strainer's teeth. After mopping up, cleaning and repositioning the cup, and refilling - the skimmer was still overflowing but the overflow hole was doing its job. The water level in the cup got no higher than 1/2 inch after that.

Now with something like the Aquamaxx (that draws water from a ways below the surface) I would have lost a lot more water.

I think you're right to be concerned but in IME it's an unlikely event. Just be sure to follow the warning messages in the instructions.

reeferlover
12/12/2012, 05:23 AM
most of the hob skimmers have safety measures in place like the way they are designed. so that over flowing cups basically just overflow right into the skimmer

E.intheC
12/12/2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. It's good that most have safety features included.

For something like the SRO XP 1000s cone.. I look at the back of that skimmer, and all I can see are possible leak points, like the pump's connection to the skimmer body, etc.

This is also a main reason why I prefer in-sump skimmers to externals.

fishgate
12/12/2012, 07:10 AM
My BH2000 has also overflowed but the overflow hole is not enough to stop this. It was producing a ton of bubbles due to a filter sock replacement. About 1/2 a gallon on the hardwood floor.

E.intheC
12/12/2012, 09:11 AM
^ That's not fun at all man... I have hardwoods, too.

I wonder if Id be better off using a smaller in-sump skimmer like the Bubble Magus/SSA Nac3 ? (I think it's called) and using that in the "sump". I'm planning on running the Solana, and unfortunately there is not much room back there.