PDA

View Full Version : cleaning crew

anthonyjmorale
12/12/2012, 02:52 PM
hey guys. im in the middle of my cycle. im starting to get brown spots all over my sand and rock. when should i consider getting a clean up crew. im gonna order from reefcleaners.org so it will take a few day for them to get here.its a biocube 29 to cycle the tank i used live rock and the red sea reef mature kit.

salininty = 1.026
amm = .25ppm
nitrite= 1.0 ppm

thegrun
12/12/2012, 05:25 PM
Not until your ammonia drops to zero or you will kill them. I would wait for the initial cycle to complete (ammonia and nitrites drop to zero) but if you pulled the trigger before your nitrites drop you should still be okay.

bnumair
12/12/2012, 05:28 PM
hold on my friend its too early to cuc with those numbers. let ur cycle finish meaning ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates need to be under 20 ideally 0 to be able to have cuc. brown pacthes u see are diatoms probably which will go away after some time anyways,

anthonyjmorale
12/12/2012, 06:52 PM
ya i wish i never used this red sea max reef mature pro kit. im not getting any of the readings its saying i should get and i did everything to the letter. its a 21 day program im on day 12 they wanted me to put the cleaning crew in on day 10 and there saying i should put a fish in on day 14. it also said i should see stuff growing by day 4 and i didnt see anything till day 10. it was a waste of money

anthonyjmorale
12/12/2012, 08:26 PM
also should i be running cheato right now?during the cycle?

anthonyjmorale
12/13/2012, 12:09 PM
bump for that question. should i be running cheato during the cycle. will it help reduce nitrates. will it help or hurt me?

Ngoodermuth
12/13/2012, 12:26 PM
I don't add chaeto until after the cycle, usually once I've added a fish or two. Basically, I don't put anything in the tank that I want to stay living (besides LR and sand) until it is done.

I've never used a kit either, not necessary :( Sorry, the marketing people got you with that one I think.