PDA

View Full Version : How hardy are clams??

Saltydrip
12/12/2012, 04:39 PM
My LFS has a few nice clams that are well priced and I'm curious how difficult and hardy they are. So far I'm doing good with the corals I have, zoas, shrooms, gsp and some leathers. I need something to put down low and I would like something blue. Everything I have is green and/or red/orange. LFS has a lot of nice 3-4inch tall pieces of green acro but I'm tired of green!!!

sirreal63
12/12/2012, 05:00 PM
Clams are great and they can take as much light as you can throw at them. Watch your calcium levels closely, they can deplete it rapidly as they grow. I have always and will always have at least one clam, they are beautiful and fun to watch.

NYCBOB
12/12/2012, 05:06 PM
they r easy as long as its a mature system and u have enough light to keep them growing.

Saltydrip
12/12/2012, 05:20 PM
Well lights not a problem with my new LEDs and I do frequent water changes with reef crystals since I Havnt yet bucked up for a skimmer so cal shouldn't be a problem either. I'm installing my ATO this weekend and will be dosing code a/b in the top off water.

Sweet.. Thanks for the info. My GF will love a clam right up front!! We are totally stoked that with the recent upgrades we just made we can now basicly have anything we want. I would like to add a few more LEDs to hit some of the spectrum that I'm lacking but that's after the new year.

What do they like as far as flow??

nrbelk
12/12/2012, 06:04 PM
One thing I'd like to add is that you should take the time to research which species you are buying (maxima, crocea, etc) and know what types of substrate they live on in the wild.

For example, maxima clams are typically found on rock, not on the sand, while derasa like to be on the substrate. If you are going to buy a maxima and want it on your substrate, place a rock underneath it so it can attach to that. The derasa will use the substrate itself.

JaYbIrD1969
12/12/2012, 06:12 PM
I Havnt yet bucked up for a skimmer.

Sweet.. we can now basicly have anything we want.

Be careful and dont get over confident. A skimmer is extremely important. Water changes are great but every time you do them you are changing the dynamics of the water suddenly. Having good equipment such as a skimmer, ATO, dosers/Ca reactor, keeps things stable. Stability is key to be confident in the second part of your quote here.

Most clams are pretty hardy, especially corcea clams. They dont like tons of flow and they love light. A lot of people like to put clams on their sand bed but the fact is, they do much better when they can anchor to rock.

Good luck! Their cool!

Saltydrip
12/12/2012, 07:14 PM
A skimmer is on the upgrade list. Just part of the after the new year list. I found what I want. Just need to make sure my niece and nephew are taken care of first!! They are priority #1 this time of year!!