PDA

View Full Version : Shallow reef barebottom?

NastyZ
12/12/2012, 06:28 PM
So I'm setting up a 90 shallow reef and think of going BB I'm thinking if I put sand the flow will kick up to much sand since its shallow what do you guys think this tank is going to be a sps tank by the way so it will have 70-100x turn over

Tank measures 48x30x15

cephalotus
12/12/2012, 06:36 PM
I have ran my 48*24*12 barebottom since the get go and would highly reccomend you doing the same. I would reccomend barebottom in any tank but certainly in a shallow sps reef.
And those are sweet dimensions, good luck and keep us updated.

NastyZ
12/12/2012, 10:26 PM
Yea I'm leaning towards BB

jimmy n
12/12/2012, 10:52 PM
It's all taste. I personally disdain the look of a bb tank. If you can cover the bottom in lps or encrusting montis, I'm ok with it. I like the "glazed" bb tank.

Personal preference... I've gone BB and it's certainly simplifies the maintenance. I love the sand, sand fauna, and don't like my tank without it.

JME

Jim

jimmy n
12/12/2012, 10:53 PM
It's all taste. I personally disdain the look of a bb tank. If you can cover the bottom in lps or encrusting montis, I'm ok with it. I like the "glazed" bb tank.

Personal preference... I've gone BB and it's certainly simplifies the maintenance. I love the sand, sand fauna, and don't like my tank without it.

JME

Jim

sirreal63
12/12/2012, 11:02 PM
My tank is shallow, 17" and I am running two Tunze 6100's and a Tunze 6060 with a 1" sand bed. It is hard to keep the flow up and the sand in place but you can do it if you plan the flow and find where to direct it and keep sand in place. BB is easier and I have ran it both ways, I prefer sand.

biocube14g
12/12/2012, 11:37 PM
wassup fabian! had no idea you were gonna do a new tank?? you gotta tell the guys on ccrk about it! well anyways, good luck! are u conna mound all of ralf's trimmings of sps in it?

NastyZ
12/13/2012, 12:39 AM

JME

Jim

That's my plan monti Lps and zoas the bottom will still b white since I have the tank ontop of white foam to even everything out

NastyZ
12/13/2012, 12:43 AM
My tank is shallow, 17" and I am running two Tunze 6100's and a Tunze 6060 with a 1" sand bed. It is hard to keep the flow up and the sand in place but you can do it if you plan the flow and find where to direct it and keep sand in place. BB is easier and I have ran it both ways, I prefer sand.

The thing I'm afraid of is the width of the tank I only want PH on the back wall but I probably could get away with a 1" sand bed but I'm still leaning towards BB

NastyZ
12/13/2012, 12:47 AM
wassup fabian! had no idea you were gonna do a new tank?? you gotta tell the guys on ccrk about it! well anyways, good luck! are u conna mound all of ralf's trimmings of sps in it?

Yea I just got it off ccrk and no I don't have that much of Ralph's frags only a few I have a lot more sps now that iv bought my bow is pretty heavily stocked

TimmyD16
12/13/2012, 01:30 AM
Personal preference... IMO I hate BB... but if its your thing, go for it... though 100x flow seems a bit overkill...