PDA

View Full Version : 20 gallon fish?

CMurry4
12/12/2012, 08:14 PM
so i was woundering how many fish i can fit into a 20 gallon reef tank?

that guy
12/12/2012, 08:26 PM
You could probably get 3 small-ish fish into a tank that size. You could maybe get 4 later on if you had some very clever aquascaping and you would almost defenitlyhave to be runing a protein skimmer.

MinnFish
12/12/2012, 08:32 PM
General rule is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish. Or u could goggle a fish calculator, which is based on surface area not gallons. I like the calc. Keeps u from putting a 20 inch shark in a 20 gallon tank. LOL. Hope this helps.

thegrun
12/12/2012, 10:50 PM
General rule is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish. Or u could goggle a fish calculator, which is based on surface area not gallons. I like the calc. Keeps u from putting a 20 inch shark in a 20 gallon tank. LOL. Hope this helps.

The old one inch of fish per gallon of water rule is for fresh water fish, you would be way overstocked with that many fish in a marine tank. The species of fish has a lot to do with how many you can keep in a given sized tank because some fish are less efficient at digesting their food and produce more waste than others and some are much more aggressive than other fish species. As posted above 3-4 small (2" or less) fish would be about the maximum.

Jerry W
12/12/2012, 11:24 PM
The old one inch of fish per gallon of water rule is for fresh water fish, you would be way overstocked with that many fish in a marine tank. The species of fish has a lot to do with how many you can keep in a given sized tank because some fish are less efficient at digesting their food and produce more waste than others and some are much more aggressive than other fish species. As posted above 3-4 small (2" or less) fish would be about the maximum.

^^ This

A 20 is a small system and should be very lightly stocked. 3 smallish fish and round it out with a nice variety of inverts. I'd look at a pair of ocellaris clowns and maybe yellow watchman goby or one of the small basslets like a royal gramma. Add a pair of cleaner shrimp, some crabs and snails and you'll have lots to admire.

sponger0
12/13/2012, 08:30 AM

This is not valid. Ignore this.

The max would be 3 and thats with a mature system (6 months running or longer) and a very good filtration.

thebkramer
12/13/2012, 10:03 AM
I disagree with adding clownfish in a 20g tank..

you could do a fun tank with some clown gobies and a barnacle blenny! they have LOTS of character!! and you would see them more often than I do in my 55g lol

pom pom crabs are alot of fun to watch if you have non aggressive fish

maybe even do a pistol/goby combo tank

you do still have lots of options with a 20g!!!

do lots of research.. and HAVE FUN!! :bounce3:

sponger0
12/13/2012, 10:06 AM
I have a perc and black occ in my 14g biocube. They are doing just fine

thebkramer
12/13/2012, 10:20 AM
sorry.. let me rephrase..

I "personally" wouldn't do clowns in a 20g.. I see alot of clowns being returned or trying to be sold because they eventually get big and they don't have the room for them anymore... just my preference

hossa81
12/13/2012, 06:00 PM
My pair of perculas are doing great in my 20 gallon as well as my bangaii cardinal.

Fish Biscuit
12/14/2012, 11:39 AM
3 small fish would be fine. A 20g is fine for a pair of clowns if that is what you want.

I really enjoy my tailspot blenny. If you decide on a goby/pistol combo keep in mind that the sand will constantly be moved around & you will not be able to keep any corals on the sand bed & any corals not nailed down will be used for home building materials. I know from experience :)

MrTuskfish
12/14/2012, 02:58 PM
If you do get a pair of small species clowns; I wouldn't add any other fish. Two clowns will almost always form a bonded pair and will claim all of a small tank as their territory when mature. Sometimes they will accept existing tankmates, usually they don't. Two juvi clowns and a bonded pair are totally different critters.