PDA

View Full Version : New Here...

tpitman
12/12/2012, 10:39 PM
Hello Guys,

I am a school teacher and I teach Marine Marine Science so I decided to setup a small (12 gallon) marine tank in my room. After it cycles, it will get an an anemone and clownfish. Plus many inverts. I know I am limited by the size of the tank - but since I have to "break it down" at the end of every year, the size is perfect. I have the same tank (Fluval Edge 12) in freshwater for my wife's classroom and she love's it.

Any input you guys have is much appreciated! I have not had a saltwater tank in MANY years, so I might ask a dumb newbie questions.

Terry

thegrun
12/12/2012, 10:44 PM
Welcome Terry! Anemones require a lot of light and stable high quality water conditions that may be difficult to attain in a classroom tank. You might want to try other easier to care for corals like frogspawn as a substitute for the anemone. Best of luck with the new tank!
-Mike

sponger0
12/13/2012, 08:35 AM
It really wouldnt be difficult to maintain levels for that small of a tank. Main thing is alk and salinity. A top off system would be necessary. And your top off could be used to maintain the alk.

A par38 bulb would work perfect for a small anemone tank.

The problem I see with it is that it is fairly small for an anemone.

And you could always take it home at the end of the year and bring it back in at the beginning. It wouldnt take long and as long as you use the same water, the anemone shouldnt be too bothered by it.