PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater

Diesel8907
12/14/2012, 12:53 AM
I have had a variety of freshwater tanks in the past and recently have set up a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I knew I wanted to start with clownfish for sure, and after going to petco I came home with 2 ocellaris clownfish, a chocolate chip starfish, and a Caribbean flower anenome. The people at petco said everything would be fine together. After looking online I see that the Caribbean flower anenome is not a host for clownfish. Will this cause any problems? What are the preferred anenomes for clownfish? Sebae? What other fish are good tank mates with clownfish and anenomes? Any help will be appreciated.

Rapide
12/14/2012, 01:21 AM
Clownfish don't have to have an anemone, but it would be nice to provide them one.
The natural host anemones for ocellaris are Heteractis magnifiga, Stichodactyla gigantea and mertensii, none suitable for a 75gal tank. People often offer them a Bubble tip anemone, Entacmaea quadricolor, but it's not natural symbiotic anemone for ocellaris, and the anemone may never host the fishes.
Most clownfish can do with anything that has an anemone like appearance, such as Euphyllia and Sarcopython or even some macro algae!

Flower anemones are really beautiful, and I'd keep it! Most fish and other animals are aware of the anemone and keep their distance.

If you want to get an anemone for your fish, then a Bubble tip is the best choice. But as I said, they may or may not go in it...

Redhaloangel
12/14/2012, 11:31 AM
the chocolate chip starfish eat corals.. just to let you know..

Redhaloangel
12/14/2012, 11:38 AM
the chocolate chip starfish eat corals.. just to let you know..
and so far my clowns have not hosted in my bubble tip anemone

i would suggest going to a specialized saltwater store.. since the people at petco didnt seem to know their stuff.. (from what i got form your post..) mostly the workers at petco/petland/petsmart are more freshwater fish... or not much of knowledge of fish at all...IMO (not bashing them i go there for my other animals.. and i have bought fresh water fish.. but for my salt water.. i go specialized stores.. :D

kretzkiller
12/14/2012, 11:36 PM
Ya cc starfish is not reef safe. Rbtas often work first as hosts but not needed.