PDA

View Full Version : At What Level Does ORP Become A Problem?

SPotter
12/14/2012, 04:23 PM
My ORP is pretty constant in the 375-400 and my probe is fairly new but within the last week my ORP levels have gradually gotten higher and hit 530 today. I've checked for interference and the probe is in a section of my sump where theres good flow. Im out of calibration fluid and just ordered it. So my question is should I be worried about this?

Also, I dont run ozone but do run a UV.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

disc1
12/14/2012, 08:50 PM
I don't think you can use absolute ORP numbers like that. The level at which it becomes a problem depends entirely on what caused it to change. In your case, with no ozone, ORP isn't ever going to be a dangerous problem. There's really no good reason to bother measuring it IMO. There's certainly no reason to become concerned unless something has been added to or taken away from the tank that is causing the change.

bertoni
12/14/2012, 09:56 PM
My guess is that the high ORP is a measurement problem. I agree that high ORP is an issue only in tanks that run ozone, or are dosed with some other oxidizer.

Rwpdunne
12/15/2012, 03:38 PM
What about tanks using a calcium reactor?

disc1
12/15/2012, 03:44 PM
What about tanks using a calcium reactor?

No oxidizers involved with that.

billsreef
12/15/2012, 04:54 PM
Have you cleaned your probe? Sometimes biofouling, especially algae, can cause the probe to give you a higher reading.