PDA

View Full Version : Any construction Engineeres? Large tank

Mark Bianco
12/14/2012, 07:53 PM
I recently purchased a 210gl 72 x 24 x 30 AGA. Estimated total weight will be about 3000lbs. Am I correct that is 250lbs per square foot? Where I plan on putting the tank is on the main floor. I have a full basement the tank will be placed parallel 6” away from a 6” I-beam that supports where the floor joices are spliced together, and that is supported by jack posts. I do plan on adding 2 jack posts for the front corners of the tank. My questions is do I need to add two more jack posts in the rear of the tank since it’s so close to the I-beam. This would mean moving my heating duct. If it makes a difference the joices are 2 x 8 on 16” centers.

Thanks in advance
Mark

NanoReefWanabe
12/14/2012, 08:29 PM
so close to the load bearing wall the tank will likely have next to no effect on the floor...

that said if the joist span is maxed out or even close to it then you might have a bit of bounce in the floor once she is full...

how wide id the room the tank is going in?

2x8 joist s pretty much maxed out at 12', any more then that and you will have fatigue issues down the road as well as a bouncy floor...

since you have access to the underside i would put a 4x6 beam across the front underside of the tank and put a post on either end of it and call it a day...the back side of the tank along the steel beam will be fine...

Mark Bianco
12/14/2012, 09:07 PM
The room is 17' x 12' the 12' is the running the length of the joists. So that means that I am spanning 4.5 floor joist. I am going to assume that I should place the 6" side of the beam vertical? One last question would it be stronger to use 2-2 x 6 with a peice of plywood inbetween. Not sure why but this is what I remember seeing being used framming a doorway header for a patio door.

woodnaquanut
12/15/2012, 12:03 AM
First off, you have a basement! I hate you!! :) Sump room, fish room, man cave, oh my!

Any good lumber yard (the kind pros use - NOT HD or Lowe's) can advise on the relative strengths of the beams. If it's hard getting a big piece of wood down there, two 2x6s, glued and screwed together will be much easier to put into place. I believe the ply is usually used so the 'beam' is as thick as the wall for door and window headers. Make sure the crown is up.

Don't go nuts with the screw jack posts. You don't want to push up the floor above or punch a hole thru the basement floor!

NanoReefWanabe
12/15/2012, 11:29 PM
yeah 2 2x6's would work fine too...since your tank is 6' though i would go with two 2x8 instead, and put the posts 6" in from each end

gregjonesonline
12/16/2012, 12:23 AM
6" away from the i beam and you should be fine. if you have the basement, that will always be the safest place though!

Mark Bianco
12/16/2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks, 2x8 it is. As for putting the tank in the basement the only room that is partically finished is the sump room and almost everything is automated. My job requires me to be away for two weeks at a time then home for a weekend, I am only there about 4 to 6 days a month. The stuff that I can not automate I have an aquarium service to come in once a week and do that. Beside that I am old and lazy who wants to walk up and down all those stairs. LMFAO!!!

Thanks again guys.
Mark

sur4die
12/16/2012, 07:32 PM
the tank will be placed parallel 6” away from a 6” I-beam that supports where the floor joices are spliced together

You are placing the tank in the second best location of the house.

The best location would be on the concrete slab