PDA

View Full Version : bryopsis on dead rock question

jayinh
12/15/2012, 07:34 AM
Hi guys, I have alot of dead marco rock i removed from a tank with lots of bryopsis. I want to use this rock in a new build and fresh cycle from scratch. the rock is dried out and dead, if i were to use this rock in its current state will the evil bryopsis return? I know the tank will cycle and im ok with the wait but will there be any other problems? thanks for any input

cantonreef
12/15/2012, 02:13 PM
The bryopsis would return. I would soak the rock in either bleach or, preferrably, hydrogen peroxide before using it in another tank.

BigKahuna
12/15/2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah the two things you don't mess with are 1) Texas and 2) Bryopsis, and not necessarily in that order. I once had a rock I liked and doused it in hydrogen peroxide to save it and the evil stuff still came back on it.

bertoni
12/15/2012, 07:27 PM
You could try a bleach or acid treatment. I'm not sure how necessary they are. Bryopsis requires nutrients to grow, and I suspect the rock will have a reasonable load of phosphate. I probably would cure it in a container in the dark, and treat it with lanthanum chloride until the phosphate is zero, assuming it ever reaches above zero.

jayinh
12/15/2012, 07:41 PM
should i just buy new rock from marco...lol

I dont mind soaking in bleach but would rather stay clear of acid, I just dont want to deal with it in the next tank.

Lurking
12/15/2012, 07:48 PM
I had some rock that had bryopsis on it before. I soaked them in bleach and then they sat dry for 5 months.

I used that rock in a new tank and the bryopsis came back on the rock! Honestly I would toss it and just get new rock. That stuff is evil and not worth the risk

jayinh
12/15/2012, 08:06 PM
I had some rock that had bryopsis on it before. I soaked them in bleach and then they sat dry for 5 months.

I used that rock in a new tank and the bryopsis came back on the rock! Honestly I would toss it and just get new rock. That stuff is evil and not worth the risk

for a hundread bucks in new rock I think thats what i will do, i just needed some feedback on the return of the bryopsis if I used this stuff.

jayinh
12/25/2012, 11:28 AM
so I am going to try something, i did a bleach/rodi soak for 24 hrs. and will do a peroxide/rodi soak for 24 hrs. and then use this rock to start the new tank. My plan is to let the tank cycle with these rocks and new"live"sand for 6-8 weeks. if the byopsis come out i will pull all the rock and start over, I am going to hold off on adding corals for a while to watch for the possible return. what are your guys thoughts on this idea?

bertoni
12/25/2012, 11:56 AM
I suspect all the Bryopsis will be dead by the end of the treatment.

jayinh
12/25/2012, 02:38 PM
I hope so. Lol