PDA

View Full Version : Top US manufacturers of marine equipment?

Drae
12/15/2012, 10:26 AM
When I think about where my tax money last year went ( China, Italy, Germany, etc...) It made me wonder what US companies are representing the good ol US OF A the best? Obviously EcoTech jumps to mind for the Mp series of water movers but who else? And does the mp series alone put them at the top or does a company like coral vue deserve the nod? Chime in, this is actually a good topic. Imo.

cantonreef
12/15/2012, 12:43 PM
How about MRC and GEO

ReachTheSky
12/15/2012, 01:00 PM
Reef Dynamics

Drae
12/15/2012, 02:22 PM
How about MRC and GEO
Ah yes, MRC and Geo don't get the RC credit they deserve. Good picks.

Drae
12/15/2012, 02:27 PM
Reef Dynamics
Thank the reef gods for Jeff at Reef Dynamics. That skimmer design has been copied a lot for a Damn good reason. He's an awesome customer service guy also. Classy business man imo.

sirreal63
12/15/2012, 05:19 PM
Thank the reef gods for Jeff at Reef Dynamics. That skimmer design has been copied a lot for a Damn good reason. He's an awesome customer service guy also. Classy business man imo.

Jeff is awesome, no doubt about it, but the design was one that was "borrowed" from Europe.

Geo, MRC, EcoTech, LifeReef, Hamilton, MTC, AquaC, AETech (etss skimmer), Trigger Systems, then the numerous tank mfg's. The list is larger than this, I just can't remember them all. :-)

Drae
12/15/2012, 07:26 PM
I'm going to buy American as much as possible from now on and represent my purchases like those UK reefers rep Deltec.

garcastle2
12/15/2012, 08:52 PM
Avast Marine and Next Reef.

Mike31154
12/15/2012, 09:22 PM
Not to nitpick, but your tax money went to the US government, just like my tax money goes to the Canadian government. How they spend it is the crux of the biscuit. Not wisely these days I reckon & the only thing you can do about it is vote them out & hope that the following administration does better. Track record for most free market economy, democratic nations for the past few decades hasn't been all that good.

As far as US manufacturers, chances are that although some of them actually manufacture their own products, I suspect many of the parts used to manufacture the end product come from elsewhere, especially when it comes to our particlular niche market in the aquarium hobby.

ENAVARRO715
12/15/2012, 09:36 PM
I think avast marine solutions has some good product haven't tried their products but a lot of recommendations.

ENAVARRO715
12/15/2012, 09:38 PM
Jeff from reef dynamics has great products I personally owned the ins 135, a bio pellet reactor, a kalkwasser and planning on buying the calcium reactor very sturdy and perfectly built products no regrets

unze
12/15/2012, 11:05 PM
Is reef dynamics not the same as the failed euroreef.

Drae
12/16/2012, 11:27 AM
Can't call a company a failure that's still going strong. I personally don't know the story behind the name change but he's still in business for sure.

Drae
12/16/2012, 11:42 AM
Not to nitpick, but your tax money went to the US government, just like my tax money goes to the Canadian government. How they spend it is the crux of the biscuit. Not wisely these days I reckon & the only thing you can do about it is vote them out & hope that the following administration does better. Track record for most free market economy, democratic nations for the past few decades hasn't been all that good.

As far as US manufacturers, chances are that although some of them actually manufacture their own products, I suspect many of the parts used to manufacture the end product come from elsewhere, especially when it comes to our particlular niche market in the aquarium hobby.

I was just making a joke about the tax money thing. And yes pumps and parts are made elsewhere I know. I Just wanted to see which company everybody thought was a great American brand. I was on a UK forum and it seemed like a lot of people were proud of there tank equipment that was made there. If it was an Italian tank it seemed they used Italian parts, the Germans reefs used tunze everything it seemed and Deltec seemed to be the beez kneez to those who had them. Nobody really had a sro 3000 with the bubble blasters on it really. Do they not buy our stuff or was this just coincidence?

Drae
12/16/2012, 11:45 AM
And I ment my refund anyway. Bad joke I guess. Lol

Yedgy
12/16/2012, 10:58 PM
I don't know what the situation is outside of my own country, but I'm willing to bet that one's choice of aquarium equipment has at least as much to do with distribution networks, availability of spare parts, import duties and tariffs, etc. as it has to do with nationalistic pride.

karsseboom
12/17/2012, 01:00 AM
Are we talking the largest? Or the best quality?

Sunlight supply is pretty damn big. Coral vue is pretty big also.