PDA

View Full Version : anemone question

reefboy55
12/15/2012, 05:32 PM
so i was looking into getting an anemone but I'm unsure about it considering they can eat a lot in the tank and kill watever is in it's path but i wanted to know which type would be best and i also would like to get my clownfish to host with it.

Redhaloangel
12/15/2012, 06:06 PM
my anemone hasnt really killed anything.. what size tank do you have? info? what type of clownfish do you have? how old is your tank? that information will help people help you..

reefboy55
12/17/2012, 10:21 AM
i have a 60 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon refugium, its about 10 months old, i wanna get 2 new clownfish but i'm not sure what kind i will get

flare1185
12/17/2012, 10:30 AM
Bubble tip anemone would work. They don't tend to get too big and settle in pretty well once acclimated.

rssjsb
12/17/2012, 10:31 AM
What about lighting and flow? Are you using powerheads or a closed loop? What other kinds of fish do you want to keep in the tank?

ShelbyJK500
12/18/2012, 02:41 AM
I've had bubble tips in all my tanks (4 so far)...and I haven't seen them kill anything. They will annoy zoas/palys...but they aren't as bad as the stereotype! Condy's and carpets are another story though.

rssjsb
12/18/2012, 10:49 AM
BTAs are the best anemones to start with, but they tend to wander and CAN sting and kill corals in their path. I lost several colonies of SPS and LPS to wandering BTAs overnight before I started limiting the nems to their own free-standing bommies.

If you can, I would recommend rearranging the rock in your tank so that the anemone has its own little island that is not touching the walls of the tank or any other rocks. They tend to avoid the sand so unless the conditions are really bad, they'll find a place on their island that has the light and flow they want.

ShelbyJK500
12/18/2012, 01:12 PM
BTAs are the best anemones to start with, but they tend to wander and CAN sting and kill corals in their path. I lost several colonies of SPS and LPS to wandering BTAs overnight before I started limiting the nems to their own free-standing bommies.

If you can, I would recommend rearranging the rock in your tank so that the anemone has its own little island that is not touching the walls of the tank or any other rocks. They tend to avoid the sand so unless the conditions are really bad, they'll find a place on their island that has the light and flow they want.

Great advice on the island aspect.

reefboy55
12/20/2012, 03:33 PM
I have a spot where it would be with all my rocks but it would be blocked in I'm not sure if it would get out but I like the island idea

rssjsb
12/21/2012, 09:20 AM
Not sure what you mean by "blocked in." They can climb over just about anything.