PDA

View Full Version : HOB skimmer for 75 gallon uniaquarium

troutking
12/15/2012, 06:38 PM
im looking for a hob skimmer that can fit a 3" by 3.5" space on the back of a uniaquarium. The guy i got the tank said cprs. but wat do u guys recommend?

robertcedgar
12/16/2012, 02:37 PM
I had a cpr on a previous 60 gallon tank and I didn't like it. It didn't remove much from the tank, was hard to adjust and overflowed on one occasion. I would avoid this brand. You might check Octopus HOB skimmers or the Deltec variety. I think both would be significantly better than cpr.

MatthewLaw
12/16/2012, 02:47 PM
very limited area for a skimmer large enough to handle a 75g tank. i would recommend an Aqua C Remora Pro.

troutking
12/19/2012, 02:14 AM
this one? http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora_Pro_Hang_On_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers-AquaC-AC3121-FIPSHOSI-vi.html the pro s with the mag drive 5 wont fit in the back

MatthewLaw
12/19/2012, 05:30 AM
I used a mag 3 with a remora pro In the past. Not sure that will really help you out.

downbeach
12/19/2012, 06:34 AM
Are you looking for something that will fit inside of that chamber? If so, I don't think you're going to find one that would be of an adequate size for your system. If you are looking for one that have intakes and discharges that will fit in/between the chambers, you might consider this one:

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-BH-90-Hang-on-Back-Protein-Skimmer--P3433.aspx

MrG
12/19/2012, 10:15 AM
QUOTE=downbeach;21002179]Are you looking for something that will fit inside of that chamber? If so, I don't think you're going to find one that would be of an adequate size for your system. If you are looking for one that have intakes and discharges that will fit in/between the chambers, you might consider this one:

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-BH-90-Hang-on-Back-Protein-Skimmer--P3433.aspx[/QUOTE]

I have this skimmer (Octopus BH-90) on a 29g tank. It's rated for 75g or so and I can tell that it is overkill on my tank. Took a couple days to start generating foam, but is good now. Skimmer is also pretty quiet in my opinion.

Dimension wise, you will need about 2.5 inches between the aquarium wall and any covers or structures in/on the tank if you use the included surface skimmer cup and bubble diffusion cup. You will also need at least 4 inches behind the aquarium to accomodate the skimmer body, more if you don't want to scrape your walls.

troutking
12/19/2012, 10:18 PM
thanks guys!! is it better than the remora? itll def fit the back rite in between the chambers?

MrG
12/20/2012, 06:52 AM
thanks guys!! is it better than the remora? itll def fit the back rite in between the chambers?

I have no experience with the Remora, so I don't know if the Octopus BH-90 is better or worse. I believe that, depending on the model, you can get a Remora rated for a larger tank than BH-90.

When I bought BH-90, I looked at the Remoras, but ultimately decided that I wanted an HOB skimmer with an external pump to cut down on the heat load. I made a sketch of the approximate dimensions which hopefully will help you determine if it will fit in your aquarium. Note that the intake and return cups are about twice as wide as the respective pipes. If you have an overflow section in your tank, you shouldn't need these cups which will cut down on the required space.

downbeach
12/20/2012, 07:28 AM
im looking for a hob skimmer that can fit a 3" by 3.5" space on the back of a uniaquarium. The guy i got the tank said cprs. but wat do u guys recommend?

I used to have a Ramora, and it worked well for me. The problem is, the recommended smallest motor, an MJ1200 is 3 1/2 ", and would have to go into the tank. That would mean the the intake would be right up against the bulkhead, in that chamber, and wouldn't be able to pump any water.